Sociology
Course
SOC 10000
Professor
Steven Hillis
Semester
Spring

Description
Sociological Research Friday, February 7, 201410:36 AM I. The Scientific Method a. Defining the Problem b. Formulation the Hypothesis c. Selecting a Research Design d. Data Analysis e. Interpreting Results & Drawing Conclusions II. Value Neutrality III. Testing Causal Theories (or how you demonstrate that one thing causes another thing) a. Correlations b. Proper Time-ordering c. Non-spuriousness &controlling for Other Factors IV. Defining & Measuring Variables: Measurement Error Validity; Random Sampling; Sampling Error vs. Bias a. Bias Measurements i. Might arise from how the researcher constructs or administers her/his questions. 1) Loaded or leading questions that pressure or steer subjects towards some responses and away from other ones. 2) Poor match between question and the theoretical variable that it's supposed to be measuring. 3) Poorly worded questions that confuse subjects or that different subjects interpret in very different way
More Less

Related notes for SOC 10000

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit