SOC 10000 (30)
Chapter 5

Chapter 5.pdf

4 Pages
Unlock Document

Purdue University
SOC 10000
Steven Hillis

Social Interaction, Social Structure and Groups Saturday, March 1, 2014 5:33 PM I. Social Interaction: The way people respond to one another. a. Response to someone's behavior is based on the meaning we attach to his or her actions. b. Reflect the norms and values of the dominant culture and our socialization experiences within that culture. II. Social Structure: The way society is organized into predictable relationships, work together. III. Elements of Social Structure - Structures Come in Different Forms Including: a. Statuses - Refer to any of the full range of socially defined positions within a large group of society, from the lowest to the highest. i. Ascribed Statuses: Assigned to a person by society without regard for the person's unique talents or characteristics. 1) Generally takes place at birth. 2) Ex. Racial background, gender, age etc. 3) Associated with conflict theory since they often confer privileges or reflect a person's membership in a subordinate group. ii. Achieved Statuses: Comes mostly through our own efforts. 1) Ascribed statuses heavily influence achieved statuses. iii. Master Statuses: A status that dominates others and thereby determines a person's general position in society. b. Social Roles - A set of expectations for people who occupy a given social position or status. i. Role Conflict - Occurs when incompatible expectations arise from two or more social positions held by the same person. 1) Fulfillment of the roles associated with one status may directly violate the roles linked to a second status. ii. Role Strain - Describe the difficulty that arises when the same social position imposes conflicting demands and expectations. iii. Role Exit - Describe the process of disengagement from a role that is central to one's self-identity in order to establish a new role and identity. 1) Ebaugh's four-stage model of role exit: a) Doubt b) Search for alternatives c) Action stage or departure d) Creation of a new identity c. Groups - Any number of people with similar norms, values, and expectations who interact with one another on a regular basis. i. Primary vs. Secondary Groups 1) Primary group - Refers to a small group characterized by intimate, face-to- face association and cooperation. 2) Secondary group - Refers to a formal, impersonal group in which there is little social intimacy or mutual understanding. Primary Group Secondary Group Generally small Usually large Relatively long period of Relatively short in duration, often interaction temporary Intimate, face-to-face Little social intimacy or mutual association understanding association understanding Some emotional depth to Relationships generally superficial relationships Cooperative, friendly More formal and impersonal ii. In-groups, Out-groups, and Intergroup Relations 1) In-group - Defined as any group or category to which people feel they belong. a) In-group members typically feel distinct and superior, seeing themselves as better than people in the out-group. 2) Out-group - A group or category to which people feel they don't belong. iii. Reference Groups - Any group that individuals use as a standard for evaluating themselves and their own behavior. 1) Serve a normative function by setting and enforcing standards of conduct and belief. 2) May help the process of anticipatory socialization. iv. Exclusion and Group Boundaries d. Social Institutions - Organized patterns of beliefs and behavior centered on basic social needs. i. Functionalists Perspective 1) Replacing personnel 2) Teaching new recruits 3) Producing and distributing goods and services 4) Preserving order 5) Providing and maintaining a sense of purpose ii. Conflict Perspective 1) Social institutions have an inherently conservative nature.
More Less

Related notes for SOC 10000

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.