4 Pages
Unlock Document

University of South Carolina
ASTR 111

Astronomy Unit 7 -classical Cepheids are also known as Cepheid I stars and W Virginis Cepheids are known as Cepheid II stars -Each of these stars has a fixed period of oscillation -all Cepheid I stars have a period of 1 to 100 day -Cepheid I variables (Classical)- These are very large bright yellow stars (supergiants). -They have absolute magnitudes in the range −1.5 to −5, - with each star’s magnitude varying 0.1 to 2 magnitudes They are extremely rare (~600 in galaxy) and are found only in the spiral arms. -Cepheid II variables (W. Virginis)- These are bluer than Cepheid I stars and have different ligh tcurves. -- -Their periods lie in the range of 3 to 50 days. -found only in globular clusters. -absolute magnitudes in the range −0.5 to −4 A few dozen are known. -Globular clusters- These are symmetric clusters of hundreds of thousands of stars scattered spherically, uniformly about the galaxy. - The stars are different than spiral arm stars since they have a very low metal content. -RR Lyrae variables- These stars are the color of our Sun but much more luminous -with an absolute magnitude of about +0.5; their periods are 0.3 to 0.7 days. -There are 2,500 known, almost all of them are in globular clusters -galaxies often cluster with several hundred members and that these clusters form super clusters -where we can independently, and reliably measure distances to clusters of galaxies, the red shift is larger the farther away the cluster lies -big-bang theory is both a cosmology and a cosmogony -The galactic coordinate system has the same basic properties as the horizon and equator systems: - reference plane (the mean plane) of the Milky Way galaxy, called the galactic equator - There is a reference direction (the direction to the center of the galaxy). - There is a coordinate along the reference plane ( galactic longitude) - a coordinate perpendicular the reference plane ( galactic latitude). -Hubble’s relation is given in the text as: recession velocity is proportional to distance -This description is valid only when the recession velocity is much less than the speed of light. Astronomy Unit 9 -The meridian may also be referred to as the celestial meridian or the local meridian -The ecliptic poles are points on the celestial sphere 90° away from the ecliptic. -They have the same relation to the ecliptic that the celestial poles have to the celestial equator -Angles between planes are measured in a plane perpendicular to the line of intersection of the two planes -Columbia is at a longitude of 81° W and latitude of 34° N. -Precession of the Earth’s axis is a wobbling of the polar axis with respect to the external stars caused by the other planets and the Moon -Earth’s wobble has a 26,000 year period, so the R.A. and declination of stars changes slowly -the reference plane and direction of the equatorial system are also changing -Solar eclipses are extremely useful for: -exact determination of
More Less

Related notes for ASTR 111

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.