Chapter

Week 8 GT Round 2

Department
English
Course Code
ENGL 231
Professor
All

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 1 pages of the document.
After reading the lecture notes and my classmate’s responses, I now have a better
understanding of the reading. Initially, I did not understand why Swift made Gulliver so huge
and the lilliputs so small. However, my classmate Brooke helped me understand the importance
of the size of the characters. Typically, people would assume that the larger characters would
have more power but in this story the smaller characters held more power. This is Swift’s way
of using irony and symbolism to represent society in real life. The smaller characters
represented the wealthy/aristocratic individuals with all the power and authority. Gulliver’s
normalness and size represented the mass population or what we would call today, the middle
class. Gulliver also has no say in his own life unlike the Lilliputs which is another way Swift uses
Gulliver to represent the everyday people. My classmate James also provided another
interesting opinion on the importance of size. His interpretation of Gulliver’s size had to do with
his ability to see society from a different angle. He suggests that his size gives him a way to see
everything that is going on in the society. These are two ideas I would not have otherwise
thought of on my own.
Lillian Robinson
Is Gulliver used to represent the non-politicians/non-aristocracy or is Swift using Gulliver to
portray himself?
I think Swift is using Gulliver to portray both. Swift was a politically active writer during the time
he wrote Gulliver's Travels so it’s not like he was among the elite or extremely wealthy. I
believe he was writing from his own non-politician/non-aristocracy point of view.
Tara Fiore
Did you think it was funny that the author created these people to be six-inches tall? And that
they weren’t intimidated by Gulliver?
Yes. Typically, people would assume that the larger characters would have more power but in
this story the smaller characters held more power. I believe this is Swift’s way of using irony and
symbolism to represent society in real life.
Anthony Spell
Why didn’t Gulliver destroy Blefuscu entirely as the emperor wished?
I think Gulliver has proven himself to be a guy who wants to keep peace when he willingly
submits to the lilliputs authority regardless of his power. We know that Gulliver is not a
destructive hero so for him to do this would be completely out of character. We also see that
Gulliver does not want to enslave a free man.
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version