SWK 420 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1: Campbell Collaboration, Naloxone, Google Scholar
6 views2 pages
For unlimited access to Textbook Notes, a Class+ subscription is required.
SWK 420 (9/11) Chapter 1 (cont.)
In Class Discussion:
Blueprintsprograms.org – intervention only websites.
Samhsa.gov—intervention only website
Information about the main project:
3 articles on main intervention of program
2 articles on plan B study
What is a “Research Question?”
• Should produce an informative answer and be very specific.
o Bad: What is justice?
o Good: Will a Saturday morning psychoeducational program for first-time
shoplifters prevent subsequent arrests for shoplifting?
Step 1: Formulate a Question to Answer Practice Needs
• Question Formulation: CIAO
o C: Client problem and population
o I: Intervention being considered (What are you going to do with the client?)
o A: Alternative intervention (Another empirically supported intervention?)
o O: Outcome (What outcome do you expect to see or hope to see?)
• CIAO helps you to formulate a research question.
The “Well-Built” Question Example:
• Specific population and problem—relapse among adult heroin users.
• Possible course of action (intervention)—medication with suboxone + Group CBT
• Alternative course of action (alternative intervention)—12 step program (NA)
• Desired Outcome—sobriety 1 year later
Step 2: Search for the Evidence
• Searches of professional literature databases.
• USM Libraries: Google scholar; NREPP; Campbell Collaboration
• Search Terms:
o PTSD, veterans, treatment
• Top Down Approach
o Meta analysis, systematic reviews, literature reviews.
o Reliable web sourses of EBPs
▪ Blueprints Model Programs
▪ SAMHSA’s EBP Resource Center
▪ Social Work Policy Institute