ANTH 210 (4)
Chapter 2

Chapter 2.pdf

1 Page
Unlock Document

Texas A&M University
ANTH 210
Don Conlee

Chapter 2 Thursday, January 30, 2014 3:41 PM I. Culture is: a. Learned Subculture i. Formal vs. Informal A group whose member and others think of their 1) The complex includes knowledge beliefs, art, morals, laws, custom, and other capabilities and way of life is different habits 2) Encompasses Norm a) Cultural knowledge Set of expectation and behaviors that is deemed b) Social skill appropriate in their society c) Cultural skill b. Learned socially Cultural Modules i. Taboo; norms prohibited ii. Enculturation/secretism;process of learning someone else's culture of informal observation and Assumptions made about world culture formal instruction c. Adapted i. Behaviors/beliefsthat respond to environmental contrast 1) Intergraded practices and beliefs from: art, language (verbal and nonverbal), II. Studying Culture a. Naturalization i. Ideas/behaviors so deeply embedded in a culture that they are regarded as universally normal or natural b. Culture Wars
More Less

Related notes for ANTH 210

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.