Cytoskeletal Structure, Cell Metabolism, and ATP.docx
Lecture 30 – Cytoskeletal Structure, Cell Metabolism, andATP November 8, 2013
Last family of cellular cytoskeletal structure:
• Unclear as to their exact function, some are involved in giving mechanical strength to cells
under physical stress.
• Different types in different cells:
◦ Fibrobasts have Vimentin
◦ Glial Cells have Vimentin along with GFAP, (Glial FibrillaryAcidic Protein- specific to
certain glial cells and injured glial cells)
◦ Epithelial Cells have Desmin in the desmosomes, along with a sub group of Desmin called
◦ Neurons have Neurofilaments
• Studies on IF growth showed that new growth doesn't start on the ends like microtubules, but
rather towards the center of the IF.
• So while microtubules project from a Microtubule Organizing Center (MTOC), with the (+) end
outwards, IFs span from desmosomes and hemidesmosomes, and build from th