Psychology
Course
PSY 1071
Professor
Joel Sheffield
Semester
Fall

Description
Kate Sydnes Psychology as a Natural Science September 15, 2011 Functions of the Brain I. History a. Franz Gall & phrenology (1758-1828) i. Brain was separated into specific functions 1. The more a person exercised the functions, the more the brain grows 2. Character can be determined by analyzing the bumps on a person’s head (huh…?) a. Phrenology: a psychological theory or analytical method based on the belief that certain mental faculties and character traits are indicated by the configurations of the skull II. Anatomy a. Cerebral cortex i. Wrinkled part on outside of brain, this changes the most between species ii. Frontal lobe 1. Movement/speech (left) iii.Temporal lobe 1. Hearing, face recognition, object recognition, comprehension (left) iv. Primary motor area v. Primary somatosensory area 1. If our bodies were proportional with our somatosensory cortex, we would look very strange… vi. Parietal lobe 1. Touch/sensation, spatial processing vii. Occipital lobe viii. Primary visual area ix. Primary auditory area x. Motor cortex xi. Sensory cortex 1. Reception and registration of sensory stimuli from outside and within the body 2. One map in each hemisphere for the different sides of the body! b. Cortical magnification i. The size of the area does not correspond to the size of the body part c. Subcortical structures i. Sit below the cerebral cortex 1. Brainstem a. Medulla, Pons & Midbrain b. Reflexive movement c. Regulates breathing, heart rate, sleep and arousal 2. Thalamus a. “Relay station” - all senses pass through here on the way to higher processing 3. Cerebellum a. Involved in rapid movement, timing, coordination, and balance 4. Basal Ganglia a. Slow, deliberate movement, e.g. walking, post
More Less

Related notes for PSY 1071

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit