Psychology (134)
PSY 1071 (17)

Emotion Notes.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Temple University
PSY 1071
Joel Sheffield

Kate Sydnes Psychology as a Natural Science November 17, 2011 Emotion Notes I. Emotions are Contagious, Universal, and a Product of Mental and PhysicalActions a. Darwin i. Emotions must have evolved because they were adaptive ii. Acknowledged the motivational aspect of emotion II. What are Emotions? a. Subjective feeling i. Sometimes referred to as an affect b. PhysiologicalArousal i. E.g. increased heart rate c. Outward expression and behavior i. E.g. tears or laughter III. Emotion, Mood, and Temperament a. Emotions i. Usually in response to something ii. Direct at objects or people iii.Occur relatively quickly b. Moods i. Often just accumulate over time ii. Long-lasting c. Temperament i. Train-like tendency, related to personality IV. Characterizing Emotions a. Are there basic emotions?Are emotional expressions culturally learned? Paul Ekman, based on Lightman from “Lie to Me”!!) i. Found general agreement everywhere on what expressions meant (core emotions) 1. Happiness, sadness, disgust, surprise, anger, and fear V. Theories of Emotion a. James-Lange Theory i. Feelings follow the body’s physiological response 1. “We feel sorry because we cry, angry because we strike, afraid because we tremble.” 2. But how do we know if we are trembling in fear, anger, or love? b. Cannon-Bard Theory i. Physiological arousal and our emotional experience occur simultaneously 1. E.g. we being
More Less

Related notes for PSY 1071

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.