Political Science
Course
PS-0061
Professor
Kelly Greenhill
Semester
Spring

Description
Clash of Civilizations—Samuel Huntington • fundamental source of conflict will be cultural (conflicts between civilizations) • was between kings, then ideologies, now cultures • Western civilizations and non-Western civilizations st nd rd • 1 , 2 , and 3 worlds (terminology no longer used) • “Acivilization is a cultural entity. Villages, regions, ethnic groups, nationalities, religious groups, all have distinct cultures at different levels of cultural heterogeneity…Acivilization is thus the highest cultural grouping of people and the broadest level of cultural identity people have short of that which distinguishes humans from other species. It is defined both by common objective elements, such as language, history, religion, customs, institutions, and by the subjective self- identification of people. ” o I can identify myself as an American, a Christian, a Westerner, etc., my civilization is the broadest level of identification that I intensely identify with o civilizations can overlap and have subdivisions o Western, Confucian, Japanese, Islamic, Hindu,
More Less

Related notes for PS-0061

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit