Chapter One-The Exceptional Manager
1) Managers operate within organizations, where a group of people who work together try
to achieve some specific purpose.
2) Of the following selections, choose all that explain how the Internet can affect
companies or activities that depend heavily on the flow of information. It lowers the
cost of communications, It accelerates decision making, conflict, and stress, It enables
the use of collaborative computing.
3) A(n) Intrapreneur works inside an existing organization, sees an opportunity for a
product or service, and tries to capitalize on it.
4) Because they are willing to take risks in the pursuit of new opportunities, including the
risk of personal financial failure, entrepreneurs need the confidence to act decisively.
5) True or False: Arranging tasks, people, and other resources to get things done are
aspects of the leading management function. False.
6) What are some of the financial rewards of studying management? The ability to do fairly
well financially compared to most workers, The ability to earn more as one acquires
more education, Possible status rewards, such as a larger office, as one moves up the
7) A(n) entrepreneur sees an opportunity for a new product or service and then launches a
business to try to realize it.
8) Managers with titles such as department head, supervisor, and team leader who make
short-term operating decisions and direct the tasks of non-managerial personnel are
called: first-line managers.
9) While both managers and entrepreneurs feel a sense of urgency, entrepreneurs are
especially apt to be impatient and want to get things done as quickly as possible, making
them particularly action-oriented.
10)Which statement(s) are true about nonprofit organizations? Nonprofit organizations
may operate in the private sector, The main purpose of a nonprofit organization is to
offer services to clients, Nonprofit organizations may operate in the public sector.
11)Which of the following is NOT one of the rewards of practicing management? It will
guarantee you will become wealthy.
12)True or False: Setting goals and deciding how to achieve them describes the managerial
function of controlling. False. (Planning)
13)Which of the following is NOT one of the four principal functions of the management
process? Synthesizing. (Organizing, Leading, Planning)
14)First-line managers make short-term operating decisions and direct the daily tasks of
non-managerial personnel. 15)True or False: Top managers make long-range, or long-term, decisions about the overall
direction of the organization and establish the objectives, policies, and strategies for it.
16)Which of the following is NOT one of the rewards of studying management? You will be
guaranteed a high-paying job upon graduation.
17)Entrepreneurs must have a particularly high tolerance for ambiguity as they are trying to
do things that have not been done before.
18)Managers who are responsible for several organizational activities rather than just one
are called general managers.
19)What type of organization is typically considered for profit? Business organizations.
20)The management function of planning involves setting goals and deciding how to