Psychology (96)
PSY 331 (27)

March 12.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University at Buffalo
PSY 331
Lindsey Streamer

March 12, 2014 Attitudes and Behaviors 2 Last time Predicting behavior 1. Right attitude object 2. Accurate measurement 3. Specific attitude 4. Make accessible 5. Strong attitudes Overview Attitudes Desire for consistency Heider (1946, 1958) Balance theory • We have a preference for “balanced” relationships • Motivated to restore balance Application: advertisements Festinger: we’ll do crazy stuff for consistency (cognitive dissonance theory) 1. We seek consistency between thoughts & actions 2. We feel tension (“dissonance”) when inconsistent 3. We are motivated to reduce dissonance • Sometimes we can change behavior • Easier to change attitude Insufficient justification Festinger & Carlsmith (1959) Dull 1-hr task • DULL! Asked to tell next participant it was very interesting • Lie = attitude-behavior inconsistency! Manipulation: • Paid either $1 or $20 to lie Told lie Rated enjoyment of study !!!We want to feel like the effort we put in was worth it. Thus $1 reward  inconsistency Results Conventional wisdom: who likes study more? $20 = sufficient justification for lying • “I lied because of $”: explains inconsistency • Low dissonance = no attitude change Rating? • “I hated the task” $1 = insufficient justification for lying • “I lied because..? Not ofr the $”: inconsistency… High dissonance = attitude change Rating? • “I liked the task” Justification of effort “I worked so hard…it must have been worth it” Join fraternity/sorority • Initiation (hazing) • Unpleasant experience o Do we typically choose this? o Inconsistency
More Less

Related notes for PSY 331

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.