February 5.docx

4 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSY 331
Professor
Lindsey Streamer

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Description
February 5, 2014 High vs. low Which is better? • Common assumption: High SE is good, low SE is bad Dark side of HSE Baumeister, Smart, and Boden (1996): violence More conventional wisdom: • Violence used to gain SE • LSE need enhancement, so they pursue it • Violence (or otherwise) Actually: • HSE seek success, LSE avoid failure • HSE expect success, confident o Able to take risks o LSE are not confident and don’t take risks Initiating violent confrontation: • Creates a test for self (risky) • Need confidence to take on a risk Need trigger: ego threat • Negative feedback that challenges favorable views of self Violence can repair • Coercive: “Take that back!” • Restore dominance: “I am good after all.” High SE & other negative things • Self-aggrandizement o E.g. let people know how great you are • Defensiveness o E.g. not admitting short-comings o EX. could learn from exam test failures, but they blame it on the grader instead Apparent paradox • High SE both “good” and “bad” Not all HSE is the same Consider both level and stability of SE Level: average baseline (high vs. low) Rosenberg SE chart • Trait SE o How you feel in general Two types of high SE Stable high SE: • The “good” high SE • Unaffected by negative events o Feel bad, but not about themselves o EX. turned down for a job because of inexperience, trying better next time Unstable high SE: • The “bad’high SE • Defensive reactions to negative events o EX. blaming the evaluator for negative feedback, higher self-reported anger What lies beneath? Idea: possess underlying self-doubt • Visible after ego threat • Motivates behavior Stability Stability: fluctuations around baseline • Measure state SE o How you feel at this moment (right now) • 8 times in a week (2x a day, 1 morning, 1 evening) • Take standard deviation of 8 • Higher standard deviation = higher instability Unstable SE People with unstable SE: • More affected by daily events o See them as self-relevant o Friends didn’t leave me chair (oh they didn’t want me), instead of let me grab one o Take things personally o Sense of self at stake…  …even for trivial things If daily life has ups and downs • And one is sensitive to e
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit