April 21, 2014
Who are we attracted to?
• 4 factors
What makes people attracted to each other?
Typically know whether we like someone…
…harder to explain why
Afew common sayings…
“Familiarity breeds contempt”
“Birds of a feather flock together”
Festinger et al. (1950)
• Friendship patterns in married student housing
• Students randomly assigned to residences
• Who are your closest friends?
Results: friends w/ neighbors
• 2/3 of friends listed lived in the same building
• Pattern of friendships within each building
o Greater proximity more friendships
Residents in busy areas were more often listed as close friends
• E.g. 1 & 5 formed 2x as many friendships with upstairs neighbors as those in
• Functional distance
Classroom: the alphabet! (Segal, 1974)
• Self-reported reasons for friendship?
Stages of life
• As proximity changes, relationships change
Why does proximity influence relationships?
• Makes contact more likely
Mere exposure effect
• Works for people, too
Usually attributed to liking
• Not always: Ebbesen et al. (1976) and enemies
Mirror images (Mita et al.)
• 2 pictures