Psychology
Course
PSY 331
Professor
Lindsey Streamer
Semester
Spring

Description
April 28, 2014 Attachment Assessment (the “strange situation”): • Mom and baby together • Mom leaves o Observe baby’s reaction • Mom returns o Observe baby’s reaction Attachment styles 3 classic types • Not all-or-none 1. Secure • Cry when mom leaves… • …happy upon return 2. Anxious/ambivalent • Cling and cry when mom leaves… • …anger/apathy upon return 3. Avoidant • Not much reaction Where do styles come from> One idea: working model of self and other, learned from interactions • With caregiver 2 underlying dimensions • Attachment anxiety o High = negative view of self o Low = positive view of self • Avoidance o High = negative view of others o Low = positive view of others Secure: positive view of self & caregiver • Anxiety & avoidance…? o Low • Sensitive & responsive caregiver • Feel valued, trust other Anxious/ambivalent: negative view of self • High anxiety • Inconsistent caregiver • Feel unworthy o EX. mom doesn’t care about me—the dog is more important than me; something about me makes me worse (unworthy) than the dog Avoidant: negative view of caregiver • High avoidance • Aloof caregiver • Don’t trust other Attachment styles Why does this matter? Carry models of self & other into adult relationships Attachment as expectations Hazan & Shaver (1987): adult questionnaire Effects in adults Secure: • Satisfying, happy relationships • Based on trust • Believe romantic love is possible High anxiety (attachment): • Love
More Less

Related notes for PSY 331

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit