Psychology
Course
PSY 351
Professor
Scott Wersinger
Semester
Spring

Description
Chapter 1: Introduction 1) Asurgery to cut the corpus collusm which result in the right and left hemisphere acting independently from one another 2) Information that is processed by the right hemisphere would not be received by the left hemisphere thus it cannot be communicated. 3) Amodel is a diagram that explain a concept 4) Strength:Able to give a full picture and explain a concept easily Limitation: It is only as accurate as your data and certain things cannot be explain using model 5) Generalization is explaining a phenomenon as an example of a general law Reduction is explaining a complex phenomenon into simpler terms a. Generalization: i. Advantage: Essential for making deductive inference ii. Disadvantage: b. Reduction: i. Advantage: ii. Disadvantage: Observing behaviour is not enough to relate them with 6) Dualism is a belief that the mind and the brain is two different entity Monism is a belief that the mind and the brain is the same thing but using different term a. Monism i. To study how our brain anatomy affects our behaviour, we have to believe that the mind and the brain are the same. 7) Consciousness is the state of being awake and the awareness of our own thoughts, perception and emotion. 8) Evolution is the change in the properties of a population of an organism over time 9) Natural selection is the process by which inherited traits that confer a selective advantage become more prevalent in the population. (mostly talks about an individual/small group of the population) 10) Sexual selection is the heritable trait that increases an animal’s likelihood to pass on their trait or reproduce. 11) Artificial selection is an intentional process of breeding for a certain desired trait. (“Man-made”) 12) Thalidomide is a drug that is supposes to treat morning sickness but it causes birth defects. Its can cause limbs malformation and facial
More Less

Related notes for PSY 351

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit