Sociology
Course
SOC 101
Professor
Christopher Mele
Semester
Fall

Description
Ivan Chao 9/12/13 – Thursday TEST 1 – CH 1 & 5 Key terms: • Applied Sociology: the use of sociological analysis to solve social problems • Basic (pure) Sociology: professional sociology Theoretical Perspectives in Contemporary Sociology Theory - is a general statement about how some parts of the world fit together and how they work; it is an explanation of how two or more facts are related to one another. 1. Symbolic Interactionism – microlevel • Focus is on how people themselves define reality, how they make sense of the world, how they experience and define what people are doing. Ex. Not running around naked • Assumption is that social structures are created through interactions among people so that patterns and standards of behavior emerge, i.e. social reality is a construction by people. • Focus on meanings assigned to actions and symbols, how meanings are learned and modified. - E.x. kid urinates in sandbox, 25age dies in sandbox, 50age crawls on desk • Inquires into factors that influence how we interpret what we say and do, and patterns that give rise to same interpretation for many. • Suggest individuals exist in analogy to actors in a play – dramaturgy, a sub- theory of interactionism. - Ex. Different stages (settings), social life is a stage in which people perform. People are in a sense, actors that play a role (e.g. mother, what it means to be a college student) • Goffman’s dramaturgical approach understanding social interaction through an analogy of theatre and performance Social life: • Astage in which people interact and perform • Humans are both actors and audience members • Parts they play are roles in everyday life (mother, teacher, factory worker) • The roles change depending on upon the setting ex. Daughter is an honor student • Roles consist of two types: “front stage” and “back stage”. Periods of rest. Ex. Restaurant customers – can I have some more water? Sure, one moment sir… that asshole at table 7 is killing me! • Characterized by difference in behavior – formal and informal 2. Functionalism (also known as Structural Functionalism) • Focus on order whose complex system whose parts work together to promote social stability • Society is a system of int
More Less

Related notes for SOC 101

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit