Chapter 2 - Types of language.pdf

2 Pages

Department
Communication
Course Code
COMM 107
Professor
Stepno

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Is a form of public communication
-
He introduced what he is going to talk about at the very beginning
-
Maintained the audience's attention well
-
Used visuals which made the presentation more interesting
-
Could have been better organized
-
Linear communication
-
There was environmental noise among the crowd
-
-
Cultural noise as examples of Disney World and NFL might not resonate globally
-
Presentation:
Chapter 2:
Used by a nation, people, or distinct community
-
To communicate thoughts or feelings
-
Language is a system of arbitrary signals such as sounds, gestures, symbols
Meaning - the way words are placed together, and the backgrounds and experiences of the
communicators
Language is constantly evolving
Cybernetic Process:
Input -> Storage -> Stimulus -> Search -> Recall -> Output
- functions like a computer
Cortex - part of the brain that stores, computes and processes incoming signals.
Language-explosion Theory - suggests we build communication skills from the core of language we
develop early in life
Significant-other theory- suggests we select specific people or groups, whose language, ideals, and
beliefs that we allow to influence us
Features common in all languages:
Languages are based on a set of symbols, both verbal and non-verbal
Languages that are alphabetically based recognize the differences between vowels and consonants
Languages have ordered structural categories such as verbs, nouns, and objects
Words in and of themselves are not inherently meaningful.
Denotative Meanings - direct, explicit meanings
Connotative Meanings - implied or suggested meanings
Semantics - Relationship of language and meanings
Language distortion - occurs when people intentionally or unintentionally distort information as they
process it (ambiguity, vagueness, inferences, message adjustment)
Inferences - we interpret beyond available information or jump to conclusions without using all the
information available
Chapter 2
Monday, September 16, 2013
9:32 AM
New Section 1 Page 1

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 2 Monday, September 16, 2013 9:32 AM Presentation: - Is a form of public communication - He introduced what he is going to talk about at the very beginning - Maintained the audience's attention well - Used visuals which made the presentation more interesting - Could have been better organized - Linear communication - There was environmentalnoise among the crowd - Psychologicalnoise as he is dying soon - Cultural noise as examples of Disney World and NFL might not resonate globally Chapter 2: Language is a system of arbitrary signals such as sounds, gestures, symbols - Used by a nation, people, or distinct community - To communicatethoughts or feelings Meaning - the way words are placed together, and the backgrounds and experiences of the communicators Language is constantly evolving Cybernetic Process: Input -> Storage -> Stimulus -> Search -> Recall -> Output - functions like a computer Cortex - part of the brain that stores,computes and processes incoming signals. Language-explosion Theory - suggests we build communicationskills from the core of language we develop early in life Significant-other theory- sugg
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit