Education Counseling and Personnel Services
Course
EDCP 310
Professor
Collin Vernay
Semester
Spring

Description
Chapter 1 Throughout this book, then, the term helper refers to the individual providing assistance, and the term client refers to the person receiving support Helping can be defined as one person assisting another in exploring feelings, gaining insight, and making changes in his or her life. Psychotherapy is different from helping Psychotherapy is proven to be helpful but most subgenres do not differ greatly in results three phases of the psychotherapeutic recovery process. In the first phase, clients change rapidly in terms of feeling subjectively better. In the second, slower phase, there is a remediation of symptoms such as depression and anxiety Benefits of helping o emotional pain, helping can provide support and relief o Through the process of helping, clients can also gain insight, such that they come to understand themselves in new ways o helping can assist individuals in dealing with existential concerns (i.e., who am I, where am I going, and what do I want out of life?) o clients can learn skills needed to live more effectively and reach their potential. These skills may include learning how to communicate with others practicing ways to resolve conflict becoming more assertive identifying decisionmaking strategies studying more effectively learning to relax changing unhealthy habits o can also assist individuals in making decisions about the direction of their lives. o An additional facilitative aspect of helping involves helpers providing feedback about how clients appear to others, information that others might hesitate to provide o Client can learn to experience a healthy, nondamaging, intimate relationship with another person o effective helping teaches clients to function on their own Issues helping can cause o provide just enough relief to enable people to stay in maladaptive situations or relationships o can create dependency if clients rely too much on their helpers for support and feel unable to explore feelings or make changes in their lives without assistance from the helper. o helpers personal issues sometimes place them at risk for encouraging dependency in those they assist o emerges when helpers unduly impose personal or societal values on their clients o when helpers work outside their areas of competence
More Less

Related notes for EDCP 310

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit