PSYC 353 Chapter Notes - Chapter Ch 1: Social Work, Stereotype, Effect Size

55 views8 pages

Document Summary

Concerned with understand the natures, causes, treatment of mental disorders. Always involve social judgments and based on values and expectations of society at large: can change over time because the times have continued to change (homosexuality was considered to be abnormal at a point) Psychologists are trained to ask questions and conduct research need to put together information in a coherent manner. 1. there is not one behavior that makes someone abnormal, but clear elements/indicators: more difficulties in the following areas, the more likely it is for a person to have a mental disorder, subjective distress- a. i. But one who is manic and having a high and doesn"t want to take meds, that person isn"t feeling subjective distress, but would still have an abnormality a. i. 2. Person who is worried about test can have subjective distress, but not to be considered to have an abnormality: maladaptiveness- b. i. Interferes with well being and enjoying life: statistical deviancy c. i. c. ii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers