Music
Course
MUS 103
Professor
Michael Rowlett
Semester
Fall

Description
Harmony: two or more different tones sounded together In music, harmony has neither positive nor negative connotations; it refers simply and objectively to meaningful combinations of tones I. Chords a. Chord: a combination of three or more pitches sounded simultaneously and conceived not as an incidental result of combined tones but as a meaningful whole i. Traditionally, chords are built by combining thirds b. Triad: one third piled on top of another II. Tonality a. Refers to the dominance of the tonic note over the other pitches in the major or minor scale b. Dominant(V): the strongest relationship existing between the tonic triad and the triad built on the fifth step of the scale i. seems to lead or pull toward the tonic c. subdominant(IV): the triad built on the fourth step of the scale i. gives a weaker sense fo the drive toward the tonic d. Chords I, IV, and V have importance because they can effectively accompany many melodies III. Consonance and Dissonance a. Dissonant: active type of sound; unstable, evoking a sense of tension or drive i. Sometimes plays a functional role
More Less

Related notes for MUS 103

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit