MUS 103 (6)
Chapter 5

Chapter 5-Timbre.docx

5 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Mississippi
MUS 103
Michael Rowlett

Timbre: the quality of sound characteristic of a particular voice, instrument, or ensemble --this is what sets the sounds of instruments apart; i.e. how you can tell a piano from a flute --affected by the material from which it is made and by the individual manner in which a musician plays it I. Vocal Timbres a. Women’s voices i. Soprano: high range of pitches ii. Mezzo-soprano: medium range iii. Alto/contralto: low range b. Men’s voices i. Tenor: high ii. Baritone: medium iii. Bass: low II. Instruments of the Orchestra a. Symphony orchestra: members of all four of the instrument families: brass, woodwind, string, and percussion b. String instruments i. Represented by the violin: a small instrument that may be held under the chin; viola: slightly larger, but also held under the chin; cello: a large, heavy instrument propped on the floor of the seated player; and string bass: large enough for player to stand or lean against a high stool to play ii. Must be played with a bow drawn across the strings iii. Can be plucked (pizzicato), strummed, or tapped with the wooden bow for special effects c. Woodwinds i. Consists of only wooden-bodied instruments, including the piccolo, flute, oboe, English horn, clarinet, and the bassoon. ii. Piccolo and flute: played horizontally by blowing across a hole near one end iii. Clarinet and saxophone are played by blowing on a single reed (piece of wood) iv. Oboe, English horn, and bassoon are played by blowing on a double reed (piece of wood) d. Brass instruments i. Consists of trumpet, trombone, French horn, and the tuba ii. Rang
More Less

Related notes for MUS 103

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.