PSY 100 Chapter Notes - Chapter 6: Connectionism, Iconic Memory, Echoic Memory

68 views8 pages

Document Summary

Memory: an active system that receives information from the senses, organizes and alters that information as it stores it away, and then retrieves the information from storage. Models of memory the information processing model assumes that the processing of information for memory storage is similar to the way in which a computer processes memory- in a series of three stages. Sensory memory the very first stage of memory: the point at which information enters the nervous system through the sensory systems. Eidetic imagery: the (rare) ability to access a visual memory for thirty seconds or more. Chunking: bits of information are combined into meaningful units, or chunks, so that more information can be held in stm. Maintenance rehearsal: saying bits of information to be remembered over and over i(cid:374) o(cid:374)e"s head i(cid:374) order (cid:373)ai(cid:374)tai(cid:374) the(cid:373) i(cid:374) short-term memory (stm tend to be encoded in auditory form) Stm lasts from about 12 to 30 seconds without rehearsal.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers