DEP 5057 Chapter 5: Book Notes

53 views3 pages

Document Summary

Early childhood: body and mind: body changes, growth patterns a. i. Center of gravity moves from breast to belly: nutrition b. i. Just-right: the tendency of children to insist on having things done in a particular way; includes clothes, food, bed time, etc. c. Injury control/ harm reduction: practices that are aimed at anticipating, controlling, and preventing dangerous activities c. ii. Primary prevention: actions that change overall background conditions to prevent some unwanted event or circumstances such as injury, disease or abuse (immunizations) c. iii. Secondary preventions: actions that avert harm in a high-risk situation for vulnerable individuals c. iv. Tertiary prevention: actions that are taken after an adverse event occurs that are aimed at reducing the harm or preventing disability: brian development, the maturing cortex a. i. Prefrontal cortex: a brain area right above the eyes; specializes in anticipation, planning, and impulse control: speed of thought b. i. Myelination: fatty coating on the axons that speeds the transmission of nerve impulses from neuron to neuron b. ii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers