Textbook Notes (280,000)
US (110,000)
UCF (1,000)
LAE (1)
Chapter 6

LAE 4360 Chapter Notes - Chapter 6: The Huffington Post, Nazi Propaganda, Kaitlyn (Wrestler)

Department
Language Arts and English Education
Course Code
LAE 4360
Professor
Nicole Damico
Chapter

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Kaitlyn Montcrieff
LAE4460
10/9/18 Making the Journey Chapter 6 Notes
The Schools Are Destroying Freedom of Speech HUFFPOST
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-w-whitehead/the-schools-are-destroyin_b_178988.html
Censorship Is Not All Bad
HUFFPOST
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-university-of-central-florida-forum/censorship-is-not-all-bad_b_9417646.html
Both articles address the difficult topic of freedom of speech verses censorship in
schools, which connects to my Unit Plan topic of purposely erased history. Surprisingly, despite
my intense advocacy for freedom of speech and anti-censorship, I find the argument posed in
“Censorship is Not All Bad” compelling.
“The Schools are Destroying Freedom of Speech” is a strongly worded article that
provides two instances and several arguments as to why censorship is ruining students. One boy
tried to say in a graduation speech that high school is like a prison and the school almost
withheld his diploma showing that those in power do not like to be advocated against and a
girl tried to add religious language to her speech only to have her school turn off the microphone.
The author of this article makes a hasty comparison to Hitler and other dictatorships “unplugging
citizens’ microphones,” showing obvious bias on this topic.
In “Censorship is Not All Bad,” the argument posed is that freedom of speech does not
mean freedom of hate speech, which is something I find myself agreeing with. Nazi propaganda
should not be given any type of platform regardless of the first amendment. If your speech is
genocide, murder, racism, and anything other than a difference in opinion (even on extremely
controversial things), then that is hate speech meant to incite violence, discrimination, and death.
Schools should not hand hate speech a microphone.
In the nonfiction texts chosen, there is an obvious sway to the arguments, and as Making
the Journey states: “any nonfiction book or essay or article will have an undeniable slant on the
topic and asking students to discuss and discern an author’s point of view or even bias is an
important intellectual aspect of reading and assessing nonfiction (236). In the book, the author
says that everyone who reads nonfiction or informational texts reads with a purpose; they are
usually looking for something that may “help them achieve their aims” whether it be support
their argument, learn something new, or even disprove something (234). I would use these
articles in my classroom as both a way for students to recognize bias and as “context texts”
(237). Paired with a canonical text that’s very core is an argument on freedom of speech and
censorship, students can use the articles to build a bridge and make connections to what they’re
experiences outside of the literary world and within it. Nonfiction and informational texts can be
used to create deeper understanding for students and provide motivation and purpose as to why
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version