PHIL 1102 Chapter Notes - Chapter 13: Carburetor, Hasty Generalization, Sample Size Determination

22 views3 pages
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Based on this, they make a bold generalization: [eighty-three percent of a sample of students is opposed to a tuition increase. Therefore, probably 83% of the student population is opposed to a tuition increase. ] This is an example of the fallacy of hasty generalization: random sample( / ) - a sample in which every member of the population has an equal chance of getting in. For the following passages, first identify the sample and population in the passages. Next, discuss whether the sample is representative of the population referred to in the conclusion. Analyze for sample size, potential bias, and randomness. Determine how your answers to these questions affect the strength of the arguments: i am never going to buy another hinckley car again. I had one and so did my sister. Both our cars were constantly in the shop. They had electrical and carburetor problems that caused them to stall all the time with no warning.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers