PVS 2100 Chapter Notes - Chapter 9: Endoplasmic Reticulum, Membrane Potential, Neuromuscular Junction

17 views4 pages

Document Summary

Chapter 9: microscopic anatomy and physiology of muscle. Immediately beneath the outer cell membrane (sarcolemma) are numerous nuclei, reflecting the end-to-end fusion of shorter primitive muscles cells during development. Staining for the activity of myosin adenosine triphosphate (atpase), the enzyme that splits adenosine triphosphate (atp) to yield energy for muscle contraction, reveals that some muscle fibers stain darkly (type ii fibers), others lightly (type i fibers). These histochemical results correlate with the physiologic properties of the muscle fibers themselves: type i fibers contract slowly (slow twitch) but can contract for long periods. Type ii fibers contract quickly (fast twitch) but are more susceptible to fatigue. The electron microscope shows the striations only in the myofibrils and not in the sarcoplasm (cytoplasm of muscle cell). The light zones, or bands, called i bands, consist of thin filaments only; the darker regions, called a bands, are composed of overlapping thick and thin filaments.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers