Premium

5 Pages

Department
Applied Math and Statistics
Course Code
AMS 5
Professor
Yonatan Katznelson

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
Description
AMS 5 Practice 6 4/12/2017 (8:00-9:05) Chapter 8, #1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11 1. A study of the IQs of husbands and wives obtained the following results: for husbands, average IQ = 100, SD = 15 for wives, average IQ = 100, SD = 15 r = .6 One of the following is a scatter diagram for the data. Which one? Say briefly why you reject the others. 1) D, because (100, 100) is roughly in the middle of the oval and the oval contains points outside of 1 SD. 2. (a) For a representative sample of cars, would the correlation between the age of the car and its gasoline economy (miles per gallon) be positive or negative? (b) The correlation between gasoline economy and income of owner turns out to be positive. How do you account for this positive association? 2a) Negative, since unlike wine, mechanical parts don’t get better with age. 2b) More affluent people can afford cars with better gasoline economy cars. 4. Is the correlation between the heights of husbands and wives in the U.S. around -.9, -.3, . 3, or .9? Explain briefly. (#3. Suppose men always married women who were exactly 8% shorter. What would the correlation between their heights be?) 4) Assuming we’re going off of problem 3, it’d be .9 because of how close the values are. 5. Three data sets are collected, and the correlation coefficient is computed in each case. The variables are… (i) GPA in freshman year and in sophomore year (ii) GPA in freshman year and in senior year (iii) length and weight of two-by-four boards Possible values for correlation coefficients are -.50 0.0 0.30 0.60 0.95 Match the correlations with the data sets; two will be left over. Explain your choices. (Note-Taker’s Note: There’s literally no data given, so I’m shooting in the dark and basing my answers off my personal experiences; your answers may and should differ) 5i) 0.60, since a year difference (aside from classes) rarely af
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit