LTEA 142 Chapter Notes - Chapter 5: Sui Generis, Neurosis, Imagined Communities

57 views2 pages
27 May 2018
School
Department
Course
Final Readings: Imagined Communities: Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism, Benedict
Anderson
Concepts and definitions
Nation:
Theorists of nationalism:
The ojetie oderit of atios to the historias ee s. their
subjective antiquity in the eyes of nationalists
The formal universality of nationality as a sociocultural concept - in the
oder orld eeroe a, should, ill hae a atioalist, as he or
she has a geder - vs. the irremediable particularity of its concrete
aifestatios, suh that,  defiitio, Greek atioalit is sui geeris
The politial poer of atioaliss s. their philosophial poert ad
even incoherence.
In other words, unlike most other isms, nationalism has never produced its own grand
thinkers
This eptiess easil gies rise to a ertai odesesio
Nationalism: the pathology of modern developmental history, as inescapable as
eurosis i the idiidual, with much the same essential ambiguity attaching to it, a
similar built-in capacity for descent into dementia, rooted in the dilemmas of
helplessness thrust upon most of the world (the equivalent of infantilism for societies
and large incurable)
Author proposes definition of the nation: it is an imagined political community - and
imagined as both inherently limited and sovereign
It is imagined because the members of even the smallest nation will never know most of
their fellow-members, meet them, or even hear of them, yet in the minds of each lives
the image of their communion
Gellner: nationalism is not the awakening of nations of self-consciousness: it invents
nations where they do not exist
Gellner is anxious to show that nationalism masquerades under false pretences
that he assiilates ietio to fariatio ad falsit, rather tha to
iagiig ad reatio.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Final readings: imagined communities: reflections on the origin and spread of nationalism, benedict. The o(cid:271)je(cid:272)ti(cid:448)e (cid:373)oder(cid:374)it(cid:455) of (cid:374)atio(cid:374)s to the historia(cid:374)(cid:859)s e(cid:455)e (cid:448)s. their subjective antiquity in the eyes of nationalists. The (cid:858)politi(cid:272)al(cid:859) po(cid:449)er of (cid:374)atio(cid:374)alis(cid:373)s (cid:448)s. their philosophi(cid:272)al po(cid:448)ert(cid:455) a(cid:374)d even incoherence. In other words, unlike most other isms, nationalism has never produced its own grand thinkers. This (cid:858)e(cid:373)pti(cid:374)ess(cid:859) easil(cid:455) gi(cid:448)es rise to a (cid:272)ertai(cid:374) (cid:272)o(cid:374)des(cid:272)e(cid:374)sio(cid:374) Author proposes definition of the nation: it is an imagined political community - and imagined as both inherently limited and sovereign. It is imagined because the members of even the smallest nation will never know most of their fellow-members, meet them, or even hear of them, yet in the minds of each lives the image of their communion. Gellner: nationalism is not the awakening of nations of self-consciousness: it invents nations where they do not exist.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers