Making of the Modern World
Course
MMW 13
Professor
Edmond Yi- Teh Chang
Semester
Spring

Description
MMW 13 – Textbook Notes – Sunni Versus Shi’ite: We Exhort You to Embrace the True Faith & The Safavid Shi’ite Empire of Persia & Shah Abbas the Great Sunni Versus Shi’ite: We Exhort You to Embrace the True Faith Introduction  From Ottoman ruler Selim I to Safavid Isma’il I  Isma’il went into Ottoman Empire and demanded that people convert to Shi’ism o Selim is a Sunni Sultan Selim I:  Praises Islam as the true religion  Brags about who he is and the prestige of the Ottoman Empire  Shi’ism is an illegitimate form of Islam that promotes violence and destruction, and also goes against the Quran  Everyone in the Ottoman Empire wants you to be dead  You’ve committed heresy by worshipping Shi’ism  Threatening military power  If you just take back what you said and become a Sunni we won’t attack you o We wrote this letter to offer you a chance The Safavid Shi’ite Empire of Persia Introduction  Openly invited Europeans into the empire to trade and try to convert the Muslims  Accounts written by Fathers Simon and Vincent in the capital of Isfahan in 1605 Shah Abbas I (Father Simon)  Physical description of the Shah  Is a humble ruler o Criticizes other rulers that act super high-and-mighty and make people practically worship them o Converses with his subjects like they were regular people  Demands respect  Is strict when it comes to justice, even when it comes to people he knows o He is maybe even a little bit stricter on them so he can make them examples to others  He has no friends o Doesn’t want anyone to influence him  Not a lot of crime due to the intimidation of the king  Holds audiences in his courtyard and does not leave until he sees everyone o He makes one final decision and it is executed immediately  If a noble is to be killed and does not go willingl
More Less

Related notes for MMW 13

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit