Chemistry
Course
CHM 2045
Professor
John Mitchell
Semester
Spring

Description
Chapter 1 Vocabulary Keys to the Study of Chemistry 1.1 A. Chemistry a. Study of matter and its properties, the changes that matter undergoes, and the energy associated with those changes B. Properties of Matter a. Composition i. Types and amounts of simpler substances that make it up b. Properties i. Characteristics that give each substance its unique identity c. Physical Properties i. Substances shows by itself, without changing into or interacting with another substances 1. Ex: color, melting point, electrical conductivity, and density d. Physical Change i. Substance alters its physical form NOT its composition e. Chemical Properties i. As it changes into or interacts with another substance 1. Ex: flammability, corrosiveness and reactivity with acids f. Chemical Change i. Substance is converted into a different substances C. The Three States of Matter a. Solid i. Fixed shape that does not conform to the container shape b. Liquid i. Conforms to the container shape but fills the container only to the extent of the liquid’s volume c. Gas i. Conforms to the container shape D. Central Theme in Chemistry a. Macroscopic properties i. Those properties we can see b. Submicroscopic properties i. Behavior that we can’t see E. Importance of Energy in the Study of Matter a. Energy i. Ability to do work ii. Total energy an object possess is the sum of its potential energy and its kinetic energy iii. Energy is conserved, never destroyed b. Potential energy i. Energy due to the POSITION of the object c. Kinetic Energy i. Energy due to the motion of the object d. Electrostatic forces i. Opposite charges attract each other and like charges repel each other ii. When work is done to separate a positive particle from a negative one, the potential energy of the particle increases iii. When particles of the same charge are pushed together, the potential energy increases iv. The
More Less

Related notes for CHM 2045

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit