Chemistry
Course
CHM 2046
Professor
Christou
Semester
Spring

Description
Section 16.6.  Slightly Soluble Ionic Salts + ­ Ionic salts are collections of cations (M ) and anions (X). When an ionic salt dissolves in  water, it does so by the ions separating as they become surrounded by H O molecules. A very  2 soluble ionic salt (e.g., NaCl) dissolves in water completely, giving Na (aq) and Cl(aq), and  ­ there is no solid left. However, some salts are only slightly soluble, and an equilibrium exists  between dissolved and undissolved (i.e. solid) compound.  Consider the addition of PbSO (s)  4 (lead sulfate) to water. PbSO  (4)  ⇌  Pb  (aq)  +  SO  (aq) 4­ At equilibrium, the rate at which more PbSO (s) dissolve4 (i.e. the forward reaction) is equal to  2+ 2­ the rate at which Pb (aq) and SO (aq) ions4come together to give PbSO (s) (the reverse  4 reaction). We say the solution is saturated i.e. the concs are as big as they can be.    If the reaction has not yet reached equilibrium, Q  is c 2 + 2 − [Pb ][SO 4 ] Q c=  [PbSO ] 4 The conc of a solid (= its density) is a constant  ∴ combine it with Q . c 2+ 2­ Q cPbSO ] =4Q  = [Psp][SO ] 4 Q  = “ion­product expression” or “solubility product expression” sp At equilibrium, Q  = Ksp     sp   ∴   K  sp[Pb ][SO ] 42­ ** K  =spsolubility product constant” or just "solubility product" ** K splike all other equilibrium constants, only changes with temperature. n+ z­ In general:         M X p q)  ⇌  p M  (aq)  +  q X  (aq) K sp [M ] [X ]P z­ q We usually only consider systems at equilibrium ∴ use K  (not Q ). sp sp Occasionally, we will consider Q  (see laspr) Examples: 2+ ­ 2+ ­ 2 Cu(OH)  (s2 ⇌ Cu  (aq) + 2 OH (aq) K  sp[Cu ][OH] CaCO  (3) ⇌ Ca  (aq) + CO  (aq) 32­ K  sp[Ca ][CO ] 32­ 2+ 3­ 2+ 3 3­ 2 Ca 3PO ) 4 2) ⇌ 3 Ca  (aq) + 2 PO  (aq) 4 K sp [Ca ] [PO ] 4  ** the greater is K , the mosp soluble is the substance ** ­8 e.g., PbSO K 4= 1sp x 10 insoluble CoCO K 3= 1sp x 10 ­10 more insoluble (or less soluble) ­15 Fe(OH) 2 K sp 4.1 x 10 most insoluble (or least soluble) Calculations Involving Solubility Products Two types: Use K  tspfind conc of dissolved ions Use concs to find K . sp ** Make sure the equations are balanced!! ** Example 1:  The solubility of Ag CO  is 0.022 M3at 20 °C.  What is K  of Ag CO ? sp 2 3 Answer: This is a common type of question ­ note that we are told the molar solubility of  Ag C2  (3.e. what concentration will dissolve, but remember it completely dissociate into ions).  Therefore,      Ag2CO  3s)  ⇌  2 Ag  (aq)  +  CO  (aq) 3­      [init]    (solid)      0      0 change   ­ 0.032 M +0.064 M +0.032 M [equil]    (solid)  0.064 M  0.032 M + 2 2 ­4 ∴   K  sp[Ag ] [CO ] = (3.064) (0.032)        ∴   K sp 1.3 x 10 ­3 Example 2:  The solubility of Zn (oxalate) is 7.9 x 10  M at 18 °C. What is its K ? sp Zn (ox)      ⇌      Zn  (aq)      +      ox  (aq) [init] (solid)    0     0 ­3 ­3 ­3 change ­7.9 x 10  M +7.9 x 10  M +7.9 x 10  M [equil] (solid) 7.9 x 10  M3 7.9 x 10  M3 2+ ­3 2  ­5 K sp [Zn ][ox] = (7.9 x 10 )        ∴      K  sp6.2 x 10 ­10 Example 3:  What is the molar solubility of SrCO ?  (K  = 5.4 3 10 ) sp This time we are given K  and spked to find the solubility. 2+ 2­ SrCO  3s)    ⇌    Sr  (aq)    +    CO  (a3)          [init] (solid)                   0 0 change ­x +x +x [equil] (solid) x x K  = x    ∴ x =  5.4  x  10 ­10          ∴ x = 2.3 x 10  M5 sp ­5 ∴ Solubility of SrCO  is 2.3 x 30  M ­6 Example 4:  What is the molar solubility of Ca(OH)  in water?  (K2 = 6.5 x 10 ). sp Ca(OH)  (2)    ⇌    Ca  (aq)    +    2 OH (aq) ­          [init] (solid) 0 0 change ­x +x +2x [equil] (solid) x 2x K  = 6.5 x 10  = x(2x)  = 4x     (careful !) sp ­2 ∴ Solubility of Ca(OH)  = 1.2 x 10 2M To obtain the  x  of a number, learn to use the  x y  button on your calculator  OR take the log,  divide by x, then antilog. Practice with the number 8 ­ its cube­root is 2. Section 16.8. Common­Ion Effect on Solubility The addition of a common ion (i.e. one involved in a K  reaction)specreases solubility — due to  Le Chatelier’s principle. PbCrO  (s) ⇌ Pb  (aq) + CrO  (aq) 2­ 4 4 2+ 2­ ­13 K sp [Pb ][CrO ] = 243 x 10 Imagine this PbCrO  system4at equilibrium. If we dissolve some Na CrO  (s) (very solubl2) in 4 this solution, what will happen? [CrO ] will increase, because the Na CrO  will dissociate to  4 2 4 give more CrO . 42­ 10% + 2­ Na C2O  (s4    → 2 Na  (aq) + CrO  (aq4 2+ 2­ 2­ 2+ The K  fsp PbCrO  tells4us that [Pb ][CrO ] is a const4nt ∴ if [CrO ] increases, [Pb ] m4st  decrease.   How can that happen?   Some PbCrO   (s) precipitates f4om solution,  i.e.,  the  equilibrium is shifted to the left. 2+ 2­ PbCrO  (s4  ⇌ Pb  (aq)   +   CrO  (aq) 4 2­                                                   Shift      4dd CrO The equilibrium will shift to the left (i.e., more PbCrO  (s) will form) until [Pb ] [CrO ] 2+ 2­ =  4 new 4 new  K sp 2.3 x 10 . ­13 2+ The same thing will happen if we add a soluble source of Pb  (e.g., Pb(NO ) ) that will  3 2 2+ increase [Pb ]. i.e. addition of Pb(NO )  to3 2solution of PbCrO  will cause4some more PbCrO  (s) to precipitate 4 from solution.
More Less

Related notes for CHM 2046

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit