Chemistry
Course
CHM 2046
Professor
Christou
Semester
Spring

Description
CHAPTER 14.  CHEMICAL EQUILIBRIUM Section 14.1 The Concept of Equilibrium Chemical reactions do NOT go to completion (100% products) ­ even those that look like  they do. A reaction will instead reach a point after which the amount of reactants and  products no longer changes with time. This is due to the fact that all reactions are reversible. Example N O  (g)    ⇌   2 NO  (g) 2 4 2               (colorless)       (brown) (⇌ means the reaction goes in both directions) ­­­ Add some colorless N O 2g)4to an empty flask and watch it with time ­ the gas will slowly  go more and more brown as N O (g)2co4verts to brown NO (g).  2 ­­­ After a few minutes, no further color change occurs – “the reaction has reached  equilibrium”. If we analyze the gas, we find it contains both N O  and2NO4. Why does2’t it  keep giving more NO  and going more brown?? Because the rate at which N O  is giving more  2 2 4 NO  2s now the same as the rate of the reverse reaction (2 NO  combin2ng to give N O ). Thus,2 4 the [N 2 ]4and [NO ] c2nc’s do not change. We can  see this in a conc ([ ]) vs time (t) plot.  At any given time t: Rate (forward) = k [Nfwd] 2 4        = ­Δ[N2O 4/Δt 2 Rate (reverse)  = k rev ] 2        = ­Δ[NO 2/Δt (assume reaction is elementary) The plot shows that after a certain time, the  conc’s of all species do not change any more. The  reaction has reached equilibrium. This is a “dynamic  equilibrium”, which means reactions are still  occurring in both directions, but no overall change  in the [ ]’s. Sections 14.2 and 14.3. Equilibrium Constant (K) and Reaction Quotient  (Q)  At equilibrium:         rate (forward) = rate (reverse) 2 ∴ k fwdO 2 =4k [NOrev 2 ∴ k /k  = [NO ] /[N O ] = K fwd rev 2 2 4 ∴ K = k /fwd rev 1 K is the Equilibrium Constant for the reaction  (do NOT confuse equilibrium constant K (capital letter K) with rate constants k  and k   fwd rev (small letter k). Similarly:      H  2g)   + I 2(g)   ⇌   2 HI (g) at equilibrium,    k [H ][I ] = k [HI] 2 fwd 2 2 rev 2 ∴      k fwd =revI] /[H ][I ] =2K 2 The equilibrium constant (K) is a number (no units!) that is determines the relative amounts of  products and reactants at equilibrium: Note (i) **Only temperature, T, can change the value of K (see later)**  (ii) “reactants” are defined as the things on the left, and “products” as the things on the  right of the balanced equation. Now, consider again the reaction:    H  (g)   +  I (g)   ⇌   2 HI (g) 2 22 At equilibrium:   K =  [HI] /[H ][2 ] 2 But, if the reaction is not yet at equilibrium:   [HI] /[H ][I ] =2Q (2 K) Q is the “reaction quotient” or “mass­action expression”  As the reaction proceeds towards equilibrium, Q is changing. When the reaction reaches  equilibrium, Q = K.  Remember!! At equilibrium, Q = K Writing Q and K for any reaction Consider    a A + b B   ⇌ c C + d D Q c= [C] [D]   d a, b, c, d are stoichiometry              a b          [A] [B]   coefficients in the balanced eqn. (Q cmeans Q expressed in [ ]’s). At equilibrium, Q  = c c So, all we have to do is: 1) Write the equation 2 2) Balance it !! 3) Write down Q and K Example 1: N  (g) +23H  (g)   2 ⇌   2NH  3g)     check: it is balanced  ∴ Q =c[NH ] /[3 ][H ]2  (=2K  if atcequilibrium) Example 2:  C 3  8g) + O  2g)  ⇌  CO 2(g) + H O2(g)            check: not balanced, so we must balance it first! C H  (g) + 5O  (g)  ⇌  3CO  (g) + 4H O (g)  3 8 2 2 2  ∴  Q =c[CO ] [2 O] 2[C H ] [3 ]8  (=2K if at ecuilibrium) Note:  i) Q and K are just numbers (i.e. no units) because each conc is divided by standard conc =  1.00 M, so the units (M) cancel. ii) Q and K refer to a balanced reaction as written (important! see below) iii)No matter how many steps the reaction takes to get to products, we need only the  overall balanced equation to get Q and K Section 14.4. The Meaning of the Equilibrium Constant (K) Consider again:       N O  (g)   ⇌   2 NO  (g)   at equilibrium 2 4 2 K =  [NO ]   2              c 2        [N 2 ] 4 If K very large: [NO ] >> [2 O ]   ­ 2e4say the equilibrium lies far to    the right i.e. mainly products (things on the right of equation) If K very small: [NO ] <> 10       products favored (“equilibrium lies to the right”)      K < K    reaction proceeds from right­to­left to reach equil      Q 
More Less

Related notes for CHM 2046

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit