Chapter 19 Electrochemistry Week 1 2009.DOC

13 Pages

Department
Chemistry
Course Code
CHM 2046
Professor
Christou

This preview shows pages 1,2,3. Sign up to view the full 13 pages of the document.
Description
CHAPTER 19. ELECTRON TRANSFER AND ELECTROCHEMISTRY **  Electrochemistry  represents   the   interconversion  of   chemical  energy  and  electrical energy. ** Electrochemistry involves redox reactions because electrical energy (flow of electrons) results  from loss of electrons (oxidation) at one place and gain of electrons (reduction) at another place. Important questions: 1. Can we use the energy released (ΔG) when a spontaneous reaction occurs to do work?  YES (common e.g. car, batteries, barbecue, etc) 2. Can we cause a non­spontaneous reaction to occur by supplying energy?  YES We have already seen one way to accomplish 2, by supplying thermal energy (raising the  temperature) if ΔS > 0. Remember: ΔG = ΔH ­ TΔS ∴ if ΔS > 0, then ­TΔS  0).  Thus,   products   have   higher   free   energy   than   reactants,   e.g.,   metal   plating.  (Surroundings do work on the system.) GALVANIC OR VOLTAIC CELLS + Question: The previous figure (see above) showed Cu metal in a Ag   soln ­ this is a  spontaneous rxn, but how can we use it to do work?? 4 Answer: use this reaction in a voltaic cell, which separates the two half reactions and gives a  ­ flow of e between them (Figure 20.5)  Figure 19.1 The same redox reaction occurs, but reagents are kept separate    Cu(s) + 2Ag  → Cu  + 2Ag (s) 2+  We find that the concentration of the Cu  solution increases with time, concentration  of Ag  solution decreases over time.  We find mass of Cu rod decreases. Silver metal is deposited on the silver rod. Electrons  flow through the external circuit and can do work, e.g., can light a bulb, run a motor or  heater, etc.  Left compartment (Anode)                Cu(s) → Cu  + 2 e 2+ ­ + ­  Right compartment (Cathode)          Ag  + e → Ag (s) + 2+ Net reaction        Cu(s) + 2Ag  → Cu  + 2Ag (s) 2+  Salt bridge serves to keep the solution neutral; without the salt bridge the Cu  solution  would become more and more positively charged, and the Ag  solution would become more  and more negatively charged, and the reaction would very soon stop. ** reduction occurs at the cathode    (= red cat) ** 5 Notation for a Voltaic Cell = shorthand way of describing cell + 2+ Reaction:  Cu (s) + 2 Ag  (aq) → Cu  (aq) + 2 Ag (s) Cell notation: Cu (s) | Cu  (aq)     ||  Ag  (aq) | Ag (s) anode                           cathode salt bridge 1) vertical bars (|) indicate a phase boundary 2) electrodes placed at far left and right. If electrode not involved in half­reaction, put it  at end and show reagents in order they appear in half­reaction. ­ ­ ­ ­ e.g.   2 I (aq) → I  (s)2+ 2 e  (anode = source of e i.e. e on right of eq) ­ + ­ 2+ MnO  (a4) + 8 H  (aq) + 5 e → Mn  (aq) + 4 H O (l)   2  (cathode i.e. where e go and are used in a reduction i.e. e on left) Electrodes are graphite, platinum, etc. ∴ “inert” (= not involved in rxns)      graphite | I (aq) | I  (s) || MnO  (aq), H  (aq), Mn (aq) | graphite 2+ 2 4     ­ ­ + 2+     or Pt (s) | I (aq) | I  (s)2|| MnO  (aq), H 4(aq), Mn (aq) | Pt (s) PROBLEM: Cr bar dipping in Cr(NO )  solution on one side of cell, Ag bar in AgNO 3 3 3  solution on the other side, and connected by salt bridge. The Cr electrode is the negative one.  Draw diagram, and give cell reaction and cell notation. ANSWER: Since   Cr (s) | Cr  (aq) is the negative electrode, it is the anode  +     ∴ Ag (s) | Ag  (aq) is the positive electrode ∴ it is the cathode ∴ Cr (s) → Cr  (aq) + 3 e     (anode, source of e, put on left of cell) + ­ ­ Ag  (aq) + e → Ag (s)  (cathode, where e are used, put on right of cell) 6 + 3+ ∴ Cr (s) + 3 Ag  (aq) → Cr  (aq) + 3 Ag (s)     and cell notation is      Cr (s) | Cr  (aq) || Ag  (aq) | Ag (s) Why and how long does a Voltaic Cell Work? Why? Because the rxn is spontaneous (ΔG 
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1,2,3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit