Chapter 18 Thermodynamics Week 1 2009.DOC

10 Pages

Department
Chemistry
Course Code
CHM 2046
Professor
Christou

This preview shows pages 1,2 and half of page 3. Sign up to view the full 10 pages of the document.
Description
Chapter 18         Thermodynamics: Entropy and Free Energy  Section 18.2 Spontaneous Change and Equilibrium. We must now address why  reactions occur, and what controls the equilibrium position of a reaction. To do this, we must  introduce the idea of a spontaneous process. “spontaneous” means occurs by itself  ∴  a spontaneous reaction or change occurs by itself  (until it reaches equilibrium), whereas a “non­spontaneous” reaction is in a direction away from  equilibrium and can thus occur only if we force it to happen by inputting energy.   ** Let’s consider reactions that lie ~100% to one side or the other to help get the points across,  and then we will be more general later.** Examples. 1) Sodium metal, Na(s), will spontaneously react with Cl  gas2to give NaCl, but  NaCl will not spontaneously give Na metal and Cl  2as unless we input energy.  2) Iron metal will spontaneously rust when exposed to water and oxygen gas, but rust will not  spontaneously give Fe metal. These examples are obvious, but what about:   + ? 2+ Pb (s) + 2 Ag  (aq)             Pb  + Ag (s) Which is the spontaneous direction in which the reaction will go by itself, and which is the  direction we must force it to go??? Similarly, consider something falling, e.g. a ball or chalk­board eraser  Note:  “spontaneousness” (or “spontaneity”) does not tell us anything about rates of reaction,  only about whether it will occur by itself. What factors determine which direction of a reaction is spontaneous? We shall see  in Chapter 18, and involves the 2  Law of Thermodynamics. First, let’s refresh our memories  st of the 1  Law. First Law of Thermodynamics = Conservation of Energy ΔE = q + w E = internal energy of system (sum of potential and kinetic energies) q = heat w = work 1 As chemists, our “system” is usually a reaction in a beaker or flask ­ everything else is  “surroundings” ∴  EuniverseEsystem E surroundings The universe consists of everything ∴  its energy is constant (ΔEuniv0) ∴  ΔE univE  + sys= 0 surr  i.e., ΔEsysnd ΔE  surrel each other out  ∴  energy (E) cannot be created or destroyed. This is  the First Law of Thermodynamics NOTE: First Law does not by itself help us to understand and predict the spontaneous  direction, however. How is E, the internal energy of the system, related to H, the enthalpy we learned about in  Chapter 6? H   =   E   +   PV                             (P   =   pressure,   V   =   volume) ΔH = ΔE + PΔV (at constant pressure) For most reactions (in solution), ΔV is insignificant ∴ ΔH ≈ ΔE ΔH = enthalpy change = the heat gained or lost at constant pressure. Can we predict spontaneity from the sign of ΔH?   i.e.,  are all exothermic rxns ΔH  0) non­spontaneous? th 19  century scientists used to think so for a long time, but the answer is NO. CH  4g) + 2 O 2(g) → CO  2g) + 2 H O2(g) ΔH°  rxn802 kJ Na (s) + ½ Cl 2(g) → NaCl (s)  ΔH°  rxn411 kJ These are spontaneous as written (left to right), and their ΔH  0 (endothermic) that are  also spontaneous.  **spontaneous reactions are usually exothermic, but not always!** e.g.,  melting of ice: H 2 (s) → H O 2l) ΔH°  rxn6.02 kJ       evaporation of H O2 H O (2) → H O (g2 ΔH°  rxn44.0 kT 2 ΔH > 0 for both, yet both occur spontaneously. ∴ ΔH by itself does not determine spontaneity ! We must keep looking to find the law that  determines spontaneity. nd Sections 18.3/4. Entropy, and the 2      Law of Thermodynamics   Spontaneity is determined by a thermodynamic function called ENTROPY (symbol S,  units Joules/Kelvin (J/K). This is the basis of the 2  law of Thermodynamics and allows us to  predict when a process is spontaneous. First, let’s think about entropy.  What is an increase in entropy? Increasing the dispersal of energy or matter over more  energy states corresponds to an increase in entropy  e.g. dispersing (spreading) energy over more atoms represents an increase in entropy (think of a  hot metal in contact with a cold one ­ the heat will be spread out spontaneously). e.g. dispersing (spreading) matter over a bigger volume represents an increase in entropy (think  of a gas in one container distributing between it and an empty container when connected).   Entropy is often related to the idea of DISORDER. Increasing disorder (i.e. decreasing order)  is increasing entropy. Spreading (dispersing) heat energy over a bigger amount of metal, or  spreading (dispersing) the gas molecules over a greater volume are both examples of going to a  situation with greater disorder (smaller order) Other examples: Order Disorder new deck of cards shuffled deck crystal gas molecules atoms protein amino acids house pile of bricks Nature has an inherent tendency towards greater dispersal (spreading out) of energy and  matter i.e. to greater disorder.   e.g., gas vs crystal.   A gas is much more disordered than a crystal 3 A measure of dispersal (or disorder) in a system is ENTROPY (S).  Increasing entropy (S) =  increasing dispersal (disorder)    i.e.  disordered systeordered system  e.g.   S(gas) >> S(crystal) S is a state function, like enthalpy H or energy E — it depends on the present state of the  system, not how it got there. The Boltzmann Equation for Entropy Entropy S is related to disorder (number of equivalent ways of distributing energy).  In 1877,  Boltzmann defined S S = k ln(W) W = No. of ways system can be arranged.   k = kB = Boltzmann’s Constant Interesting, but rarely useful in practice because on a molecular level we rarely know or can  measure W. Thus, entropy (S) measures the extent of disorder resulting from dispersal of energy and matter.  We can now state the rule for a spontaneous process.   Section 18.4 Second Law of Thermodynamics nd **2  Law of Thermodynamics: in a spontaneous process, the change in the  entropy of the universe is positive, i.e. ΔS universe> 0 ** i.e. spontaneous processes occur in the direction that increases the entropy of the universe. True ­ but doesn’t help yet with figuring out which is the spontaneous direction of a  reaction ­ we’ll get to that later.  Now,         ΔS universeΔS system ΔS surroundings   ∴ **  ΔS  sysS surr> 0        for a spontaneous process ** Note: ΔS  sys or may not be > 0 (positive) ΔS  surror may not be > 0 (positive) but ΔS universeWAYS > 0 for a spontaneous process First, let’s look at ΔS  (or ΔS ) in detail ­ we’ll return to ΔS  later  sys rxn surr 4 Standard Molar Entropies (S°) Remember from Chapter 6 that enthalpy (H) cannot be determined absolutely, only changes  ΔH. However, absolute entropies can be determined because of:­   rd The  3   Law of Thermodynamics  . = A perfect crystal has zero entropy at absolute zero. i.e., Ssys  at 0 K. As with  ΔH, we normally quote S at standard conditions for molar amounts,  i.e.,  S° =  ­1 ­1 standard molar entropy (J/mol.K or J.mol K ) Standard conditions = 1 atm pressure for gases, 1 M molarities for solutions. Predicting Relative S° Values See Appendix 3 for tables of standard molar entropies (S°) at 298 K (25 ºC).  See also the table  Let’s use ideas of dispersal/disorder and W (ways of distributing energy). (1) As temperature increases, S° increases (i.e. ΔS > 0). (2)When more ordered phase → more disordered phase, ΔS > 0 e.g., Na (s) → Na (g) ΔS° = 102.2 J.mol K ­1 ­1 S° = 51.4 S° = 153.6    Figure 18.6 ­1 ­1 ­1 ­1  J.mol K J.mol K             
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1,2 and half of page 3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit