Microbiology and Cell Science
Course
MCB 3020
Professor
Abdolkarim Asghari
Semester
Summer

Description
Chapter 10.5 Biochemical Pathways: Sets of Linked Chemical Reactions ● Metabolites ○ Products of chemicals reactions that organisms carry out ○ Biochemical pathways ■ Pathway intermediates ● Metabolites in between the reactions ■ Forms that these products may go through ● Linear ○ First molecule in the pathway is the substrate of the pathway ○ Last molecule → end product ○ Can yield more than one product ● Cycles ○ All molecules in the pathway can be thought of as intermediates ● Both types of pathways: ○ Reaction is represented by an arrow ○ Catalyzed by an enzyme or ribozyme ○ Biochemical pathways are connected ■ Forms a complex network ● I.e: an intermediate of a pathway may be diverted from one pathway to another pathway ■ Always dynamic ■ Just always needs the starting molecules/inputs of the pathways to be available ■ End product is needed ● Molecules flow into and out of the many pathways of the function in cells ● Metabolite flux ○ Rate of turnover of a metabolite ○ Rate at which a metabolite is formed and then usd ■ Can be used as a measure of pathway activity ■ Helps us understand metabolic networks Chapter 10.7 Metabolism Must be Regulated to Maintain Homeostasis and Prevent Waste ● Metabolic pathways regulation ○ 3 ways ■ Metabolic channeling ● Influences pathway activity by localizing metabolites and enzymes into different parts of a cell ● Compartmentation ○ Differential distribution of enzymes and me
More Less

Related notes for MCB 3020

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit