Textbook Notes (231,334)
US (71,331)
UHart (142)
AUCS (1)
AUCS 160 (1)
Chapter ALL

AUCS 160 Chapter ALL: Leadership Challenges and Opportunities- All notes organized by chapter
Premium

9 Pages
Spring 2017

Department
All Univ Curr-Social Context
Course Code
AUCS 160
Professor
Alex Coury
Chapter
ALL

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 9 pages of the document.
CHAPTER 1 - LEADERSHIP
Trait: born with leadership skills
Ex: confidence, ability to make decisions, public speaking, responsibility
Ability: you have the capacity to learn from experience
Ex: public speaking
Skill: learn from mistakes, learn minor/small skills
Behavior: observable actions, task and process
Relationship: working together with other people to get to a goal
Influence process: management
FIVE PRACTICES OF EXEMPLARY LEADERSHIP
Model The Way
- Lead by example
- “If they don’t believe the messenger, they won’t believe the message”
- Lead how you think they should act
First step: know your values
Second step: lead by your values
Never force people to share your values, instead, inspire them
Has to be consistent
CHAPTER 2
Six traits a leader should have:
-Intelligence: obtaining knowledge, using the new info to become better
- Confidence: self-assured, don’t second guess, believe in their skills, practice
- Charisma: hardest thing to learn, magnetic charm, gives you the power of influence
- Determination: never give up, focused, keep their eye on the goal, help others stay the
course
- Sociability: likeable, friendly, able to read relationships, sensitive to others needs
- Integrity: honesty, trustworthy, dependable, loyal, once it is lost, it’s gone
CHAPTER 3 - Strengths
We all have strengths, but they’re all different
Strengths - Attributes that account for success
They don’t come and go, once you have it, you always have it
Some strengths go untapped - people don’t take the time to try/find
Formula : talent x investment ….(skill) x (practice)
Recognize your strengths, and strengths of others
Assign tasks to strengths (think about the fish trying to climb a tree)
High performing teams, mix of all strengths
CHAPTER 4
Theory X: people dislike work, they need to be directed, they avoid
responsibility
Theory Y: people like work as much as play, they seek responsibility, they
have self-control and can be self-directed.
Three Leadership Styles:
Authoritarian (theory X): top-down, the agenda set by leader
-positive outcomes: stuff gets done, productive
- negative outcomes: people don’t like you, dependent on the leader, creates
hostility
Democratic (theory Y): feel people can work on their own, treats people
equally, seek others thoughts
-positive outcomes: more cohesive teams, higher satisfaction, more motivated to
achieve
-negative: takes longer time, lower productivity rate, can sometimes be
ineffective
Laissez-Faire: leader engages minimally, they don’t influence or take
control
-positives: none
- negatives: frustrated people, confusion, disconnected
CHAPTER 5 - TASKS AND RELATIONSHIPS
Task oriented: goal focused, focused on how the job gets done, they want
to achieve, work is where they find meaning, initiative structure, organize,
define responsibility, keep the schedule
Relationship oriented: focused on being, want to connect with others, live
in the moment, considerate of others, concern for people, make people
feel included, focus on trust and camaraderie
ALWAYS NEED TO HAVE ELEMENTS OF BOTH
ENABLE OTHERS TO ACT
Fostering collaboration, actively involving others, create an atmosphere of
trust, sharing power, say “we” way more than they say “I”, leaders know
they can’t do anything alone, creativity (giving people the opportunity),
make people feel capable and powerful
CHAPTER 6
Administrative: very organized, good at coordinating tasks, good at the
minor tasks, managing people and resources $, technically confident
Interpersonal: good at relationships, great people skills, socially
perceptive, high emotional intelligence (handle conflict well).
Conceptual: problem solving (identify problems, generate solutions, select
best solution, implement), great strategic planners, creating vision (see a
better future and make plans to get there
CHAPTER 7 - creating vision (what could be)
parts:
1. Picture: a descriptive view of the future, people should be able to see a
better future
2. Change: how we’re doing things differently
3. Values: have to match you and the organization
4. Map: steps to achieve the vision
5. A challenge: putting it back on the followers
steps:
1. articulating : explain the vision so people can understand
2. Implementing: take action

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
​CHAPTER 1​ - LEADERSHIP ● Trait:​ born with leadership skills ● Ex: confidence, ability to make decisions, public speaking, responsibility ● Ability​: you have the capacity to learn from experience ● Ex: public speaking ● Skill:​ learn from mistakes, learn minor/small skills ● Behavior:​ observable actions, task and process ● Relationship:​ working together with other people to get to a goal ● Influence process:​ management FIVE PRACTICES OF EXEMPLARY LEADERSHIP ● Model The Way - Lead by example - “If they don’t believe the messenger, they won’t believe the message” - Lead how you think they should act ● First step: ​know your values ● Second step:​ lead by your values ● Never force people to share your values, instead, inspire them ● Has to be consistent CHAPTER 2 ● Six traits a leader should have: - Intelligence:​ obtaining knowledge, using the new info to become better - Confidence: ​self-assured, don’t second guess, believe in their skills, practice - Charisma: ​hardest thing to learn, magnetic charm, gives you the power of influence - Determination: ​never give up, focused, keep their eye on the goal, help others stay the course - Sociability: ​likeable, friendly, able to read relationships, sensitive to others needs - Integrity: ​honesty, trustworthy, dependable, loyal, once it is lost, it’s gone CHAPTER 3​ - Strengths ● We all have strengths, but they’re all different ● Strengths - Attributes that account for success ● They don’t come and go, once you have it, you always have it ● Some strengths go untapped - people don’t take the time to try/find ● Formula : talent x investment ….(skill) x (practice) ● Recognize your strengths, and strengths of others ● Assign tasks to strengths (think about the fish trying to climb a tree) ● High performing teams, mix of all strengths CHAPTER 4 ● Theory X: people dislike work, they need to be directed, they avoid responsibility ● Theory Y: people like work as much as play, they seek responsibility, they have self-control and can be self-directed. Three Leadership Styles: ● Authoritarian (theory X):​ top-down, the agenda set by leader -positive outcomes​: stuff gets done, productive -​ negative outcomes​: people don’t like you, dependent on the leader, creates hostility ● Democratic (theory Y)​: feel people can work on their own, treats people equally, seek others thoughts -​positive outcomes​: more cohesive teams, higher satisfaction, more motivated to achieve -​negative​: takes longer time, lower productivity rate, can sometimes be ineffective ● Laissez-Faire: ​leader engages minimally, they don’t influence or take control -​positives​: none -​ negatives​: frustrated people, confusion, disconnected CHAPTER 5 ​- TASKS AND RELATIONSHIPS ● Task oriented​: goal focused, focused on how the job gets done, they want to achieve, work is where they find meaning, initiative structure, organize, define responsibility, keep the schedule ● Relationship oriented​: focused on being, want to connect with others, live in the moment, considerate of others, concern for people, make people feel included, focus on trust and camaraderie ● ALWAYS NEED TO HAVE ELEMENTS OF BOTH ENABLE OTHERS TO ACT ● Fostering collaboration, actively involving others, create an atmosphere of trust, sharing power, say “we” way more than they say “I”, leaders know they can’t do anything alone, creativity (giving people the opportunity), make people feel capable and powerful CHAPTER 6 ● Administrative:​ very organized, good at coordinating tasks, good at the minor tasks, managing people and resources $, technically confident ● Interpersonal:​ good at relationships, great people skills, socially perceptive, high emotional intelligence (handle conflict well). ● Conceptual:​ problem solving (identify problems, generate solutions, select best solution, implement), great strategic planners, creating vision (see a better future and make plans to get there CHAPTER 7​ - creating vision (what could be) ● parts: 1. Picture:​ a descriptive view of the future, people should be able to see a better future 2. Change:​ how we’re doing things differently 3. Values:​ have to match you and the organization 4. Map:​ steps to achieve the vision 5. A challenge​: putting it back on the followers ● steps: 1. articulating​ : explain the vision so people can understand 2. Implementing​: take action INSPIRE A SHARED VISION ● Believe they can make a difference, envision a better future, come up with unique images of the world, excite others (to buy into their own ideas), imagine new possibilities, enlist others (great communication) CHAPTER 8​- Constructive Climate ● (climate)- atmosphere of a team or organization, can include rules, values, rituals, procedures - Better the climate, the more productive and happy the organization 1. Providing Structure: Show people where they fit in - Give a clear picture of the org. And where the responsibilities fall - Give a sense of direction and purpose - Help them see how their position matters 2. Clarify Norms: Rules and behaviors of people who work - What’s right and wrong - What’s acceptable behavior 3. Build cohesiveness: “We” - Allow people to have opinions and promote them sharing - Open feedback - Show appreciation - Invite members to participate - listen! 4. Promote Standards Of Excellence: Clear expectations of performance - Give feedback on if they met expectations - Setting clear goals - 1. Require 2. Review 3. Reward 4. Encouraging The Heart - Recognizing contributions - Rewarding a job well done - Keeping hope alive - Showing appreciation - C
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit