POLSCI 389 Chapter Notes - Chapter 9: Article Two Of The United States Constitution, Signing Statement, Legislative Veto

64 views4 pages

Document Summary

In ins v. chadha, which struck down as unconstitutional the congressional practice of subjecting various executive branch actions to a legislative veto, the court noted that (cid:862)11 p(cid:396)eside(cid:374)ts, f(cid:396)o(cid:373) m(cid:396). Congress"s instructions and that the clause does not give the president power to get rid of congressional enactments: kendall v. us: court rejects argument that the take care clause grants power to the president. The natural corollary of this proposition, as touched upon by the court in. Youngstown, is that the proper course of action for the president, when faced with a bill he deems unconstitutional, is to exercise his article i veto authority. Chadha i(cid:374)(cid:448)alidated the use of a legislati(cid:448)e veto by cong(cid:396)ess (cid:271)(cid:455) (cid:448)i(cid:396)tue of the cou(cid:396)t"s dete(cid:396)(cid:373)i(cid:374)atio(cid:374) that su(cid:272)h a(cid:272)tio(cid:374) (cid:448)iolates the bicameralism and presentment clause of the constitution. Despite this ruling, congress has continued to pass legislation imposing facially invalid legislative veto provisions.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers