Lecture – Facing the Supernatural: Magic, Religion, & Ritual
April 8, 2014
The Road to Kerbala PreFilm Questions
• Who was Imam Hussein?
• What is Ashura?
• Why do Shiites go to Kerbala?
• Why do they feel connected to imam Hussein after hundreds of years?
• What is the purpose of their pilgrimage?
• What do you learn about Hamid?
• Why do tensions rise soon before the pilgrimage beings?
• What do you learn about the pilgrims throughout their journey?
• Why do they walk?
• How are pilgrims treated along the way?
• How does the filmmaker portray tension when the US soldiers are on film?
• What happens when they arrive in Kerbala?
Facing the Supernatural
• Supernatura : belief that certain individuals, events, or powers are magical or religious
• Magic : manipulating the supernatural world through speech and ritual acts
o What does it do for “followers”?
• Religio : a system of beliefs
o Connects to supernatural world
• Animism : imbues all of nature with spiritual powers; natural objects are animated by
o Thought of as having their own personalities; spirit with an identity (male, female,