Reading Notes Give Me Liberty 586-616.docx

1 Page

Department
History
Course Code
HIST 128
Professor
Matthew Andrews

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full page of the document.
Description
Reading Notes (Give Me Liberty 586-616) 1. January 12,1865 a. General William T. Sherman and Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton meet with 20 leaders of city’s (Savannah) black leaders 2. January 16, 1865 a. Special Field Order No. 15 issued by Sherman i. Set aside area along South Carolina and Georgia coasts for settlement of black families ii. Families given 40 acres and a mule iii. Land known as Sherman’s Land 3. March 1865 a. Freedmen’s Bureau established by Congress to establish a working free labor system i. Lasted from 1865-1870 4. Summer 1865 a. President Andrew Johnson orders almost all land in federal possession to be given back to former owners (including Sherman’s Land) 5. Reconstruction saw creation of first black colleges: Fisk University, Hampton Institute, Howard University 6. Within 2 years of slavery’s end former slaves were given the right to vote 7. Most prominent Radical’s in Congress (1865) Charles Sumner (Massachusetts) and Thaddeus
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit