THR 231 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1: Uta Hagen, Black Kids

103 views2 pages
24 May 2018
School
Course
Professor
Uta Hagen Questions (to help develop your character)
1) Who Am I?
Amber Von Tussle, 16, mom runs show I’m on, boyfriend Link, love to dance and sing,
beauty, favorite color pink, easily jealous, put ME before others, want to be a movie
star, thin and care about appearance, lived in Baltimore whole life, very conservative,
listen to black music but scared and will not talk to black people (they are the help and a
different kind), good at school because I sued my looks to get good grades,
occasionally smoke (because it’s 1960), have a few girlfriends but we love/hate each
other and don't want to admit it so I hang out with my boyfriend most of the time and use
my girls for gossip and to control the, jealous of Tracy because she is stealing my
boyfriend and my spotlight on the show when I know I have worked hard to create this
reputation but it takes her 2 second to become famous and steal my whole life, very
wealthy, parents are hard on me, father always away having an affair, makes me want
to control Link because I don’t want him to cheat like my dad
2) What Time is It?
1962, April/May (significance) = the right to have black and white go to the same school
approved recently in 1954, segregation protests, close to end of the school year, warm
outside, Civil Rights Act of 1960 (to vote)
3) Where Am I?
Baltimore, MD, Corny Collins show, High school => classrooms, gyms, outside, USA,
live in white neighborhood - suburbs
4) What Surrounds Me?
In my room - previous awards (Miss Teenage Hairspray), fans are constantly around
(making me feel like I always have to look good because everyone is watching and
expects it of me), cameras around the show, cars, smokers, boys
5) Given Circumstances?
PAST - grew up with singing and dancing lessons, no sports, tried cheer but took up too
much time when I finally was old enough to be on the show
PRESENT - on the show since 9th grade -> the star, win Miss Teenage Hairspray every
year, scouts are coming this year to see me and give me a contract so I have to win,
Link is my boyfriend, makes me look good, my mom introduced him to me
FUTURE - dancing on the show with black kids, going to college, hopefully getting on a
tv show
6) What is My Relationship?
Corny Collins Show - like home, I feel happy there, people know me, love me, I get all
the leads in dances, I make my mom proud
My home - i am happy in my room, but going home means I have to deal with my
mother
The jail - dirty, scary, filled with people I hate, do not know what will happen to me
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Past - grew up with singing and dancing lessons, no sports, tried cheer but took up too much time when i finally was old enough to be on the show. Present - on the show since 9th grade -> the star, win miss teenage hairspray every year, scouts are coming this year to see me and give me a contract so i have to win, Link is my boyfriend, makes me look good, my mom introduced him to me. Corny collins show - like home, i feel happy there, people know me, love me, i get all the leads in dances, i make my mom proud. My home - i am happy in my room, but going home means i have to deal with my mother. The jail - dirty, scary, filled with people i hate, do not know what will happen to me. School - hate working, love getting drama from friends and creating drama.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers