POLS 100 Chapter Notes - Chapter 8: First Amendment To The United States Constitution, Media Bias, Propaganda Model

56 views2 pages
11 Apr 2017
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Chapter 8- media and politics: the press, the mass media has taken over some of the traditional party roles for candidates a. i. The press isn"t very good at telling people what to think but it is stunningly good at telling people what to think about. : threats to a free press, government control a. i. a. ii. A governmental order to censor a news story prior to publication is called. Prior restraint and the s. c. has consistently ruled that that is a violation of the 1st amendment: private control b. i. If control of the media belongs to only a specific few, that would be problematic b. ii. Profits in the print are driven largely by advertising. Some advertisers have strict policies against buying advertising from media companies whose programming presents their sponsors in a negative light: media bias, media bias is the tendency to present an unbalanced perspective, political bias b. i. b. ii. Prior to inventing electronic media, most print media was openly partisan.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers