PHIL 2429 Chapter Notes - Chapter 7: Judith Jarvis Thomson, Precautionary Principle, Harm Principle

50 views4 pages

Document Summary

If i do(cid:374)"t i(cid:374)te(cid:374)d to kill (cid:455)ou (cid:271)(cid:455) droppi(cid:374)g a (cid:271)o(cid:373)(cid:271) (cid:272)a(cid:374)"t settle the question of whether or not i may drop the bomb if i know that doing so will kill you. Walzer says need to add condition of double intention. Double intention requires that the agent should have a further intention of reducing the foreseeable bad side-effects as far as possible. Intention must be sincere that the(cid:455)"re willing to incur additional risk to their own safety to protect noncombatants from harm. Walzer can withstand this if they actually make sure that one cannot act differently and not only have a counterfactual disposition to act differently. Colm mckeogh rejects dde and argues that while damage to civilian property can be outweighed by a greater good, harm to civilians (cid:272)a(cid:374)"t be. Instead calls the foreseeable harm principle: only the genuinely accidental killing of noncombatants ca be excused. Is genuinely accidental only if it is both unforeseen and reasonably unforeseeable.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers