RELS 3714 Chapter Notes - Chapter 4: Individualism, Class Conflict

1019 views3 pages

Document Summary

Marx thought differently than hegel: what hegel thought: a. i. Idealist who solved age-old mind v. body issue a. i. 1. Mental things (ideas, concepts, etc. ) are fundamental, why material things are secondary: marx=reverse hegel b. i. Matter is primary, while mind-realm of concepts are just a reflection of material world b. ii. Thesis that human history is story of class struggle b. ii. 3. Private property: one of the 2 hallmarks of early civilization a. i. (the other is agriculture) a. ii. Separation of classes leads to inequality, resentment, and unrest: role of state b. i. Marx didn"t invent idea of social classes b. i. 1. Role of the state has been to represent interest of owners, not laborers or producers. Base and superstructure: difference between the 2 a. i. Superstructure: aspects of society not directly related to production a. ii. Base: refers to forces and relations of production: examples of base vs. superstructure b. i. b. iii. b. v. b. vii. b. ix. c. Ideology: makes up the superstructure; the endeavors of artists, politicians, and theologians c. ii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers