RELS 3714 Chapter Notes - Chapter 5: Charismatic Authority, Fokker E.Ii, John Calvin

307 views5 pages

Document Summary

Verstehen: view of understanding other sociological approaches a. i. Makes sense when analyzing inanimate things critically a. i. 1. More controversial in regards to human nature a. ii. Differed because principle states that we can"t explain actions of humans as we explain occurrences in nature a. iii. Inspired debate because of success in fields like chemistry and physics a. iii. 1. By framing universal laws of cause and effect a. iii. 2. But science deals with processes that repeat themselves allowing us to explain things via laws, human actions are singular events: methodological individualism b. i. Relates to his idea of charisma because whenever he talks of moral values in abstract way (ex: physical courage), weber tells us to think of individuals or subgroups in society that embody that idea b. ii. Ex: charisma is found in politicians, actors, teachers b. iii. We value good choices in money-> look up to ceos or creators of. Value freedom: not taking your own values into consideration when making a choice=weber"s idea c. ii. 1. c. ii. 2.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers