RELS 3714 Chapter Notes - Chapter Intro : Euhemerus, John Calvin, James George Frazer

114 views3 pages

Document Summary

Notes from introduction section of 9 theories of religion by daniel pals. The science of religion: friedrich max m ller believed science and religion didn"t have to conflict. a. i. Not everyone (even among scholars) agreed something could be gained from studying religion a. ii. M ller thought that if searched for hard enough, a connection (however tenuous) could be drawn between sages of asia and the saints and martyrs of the church. Ancient theories: questions on what religion is, and why its practiced have gone back centuries a. i. Herodotus (484-425 bce) drew parallels between egyptian gods (amon and horus) with the greek gods, zeus and apollo. a. ii. Euhemerus (330-260 bce) thought gods were simply outstanding persons from history who began to be worshipped after their deaths. a. iii. Stoic philosophers accounted for the gods as personifications of the sky, sea, or natural forces. Judaism & christianity: both judaism and christianity rest on the doctrine that there"s only one god. a. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers