chapter 3 notes NFS 207

4 Pages

Department
Nutrition and Food Sciences
Course Code
NFS 207
Professor
professorwidell

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Description
Chapter 3 3.1 Digestion Digestion: the process by which food is broken down into absorbable units Absorption: the uptake of nutrients by the cells of the small intestine for transport into either the blood or the lymph. I. Anatomy of the digestive tract Gastrointestinal (GI) tract: the digestive tract. The principal organs are the stomach and intestines a. Mouth i. Mouth: chews food ii. Pharynx: swallowed food passes through it iii. Digestive system: all the organs and glands associated with the ingestion and digestion of food iv. Epiglottis: closes off the airway so no choking occurs when swallowing. v. Bolos: a portion; the amount of food swallowed at one time b. Esophagus: during the swallow, the upper esophageal sphincter opens. c. Stomach: retains the bolus for awhile i. Chyme: the semiliquid mass of partly digested food expelled by the stomach into the duodenum. II. The muscular action of digestion a. Peristalsis: wavelike muscular contractions of the GI tract that push its contents along. b. Segmentation: a periodic squeezing of the intestine at intervals along its length by its circular muscles c. Sphincter contractions i. Sphincter muscles periodically open and close allowing the contents of GI tract to move along at a controlled pace. ii. Reflux: a backward flow III. The secretions of digestion a. Salivary glands: secretes enzyme rich saliva into the mouth and begins the digestive process, b. Gastric glands: secrete gastric juice, a mixture of water, enzymes, and hydrochloric acid, which act in protein digestion. i. Stomach secretes mucus to protect the acid, enzymes from causing harm c. Pancreatic juice and intestinal enzymes i. As food leaves stomach, fats, carbs and protein have begun digestion IV. The final stage Stools: waste matter discharged from the colon 3.2 Absorption I. Anatomy of theAbsorptive system a. Villi: fingerlike projections from folds of the small intestine b. Microvilli: tiny, hairlike projections on each cell of every villus that can trap nutrient particles and transport them into the cells. c. Crypts: tubular glands that lie between the intestinal villi and secrete intestinal juices into the small intestine. d. Goblet cells: cells of the GI tract that secrete mucus. 3.3 The circulatory systems I. The vascular system a. Aorta: the large, primary artery that conducts blood from the heart to the bod’s arteries b. Arteries: vessels that carry blood from the heart to the tissues c. Capillaries: small vessels that branch from an artery. Exchange of oxygen, nutrients, and waste takes place across capillary walls d. Veins: vessels that carry blood to the heart e. Hepatic portal vein: the vein that collects blood from the GI tract and conducts it to the liver
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit