CS 4730 Chapter Notes - Chapter 4: Super Monkey Ball 2, Heart Rate, Video Game Culture

21 views3 pages

Document Summary

Fun failure and better odds of success, nicole lazzaro: export on gameplay emotions concluded that gamers spend nearly al of their time failing a. i. Failure doesn"t disappoint us but rather, makes us excited, interested, and optimistic a. ii. Well designed game helps players develop exceptional mental toughness: why failure makes us happy b. i. 2005 study of 32 gamers playing super monkey ball 2 b. i. 1. Researchers measured 3 indicators of emotional engagement b. i. 1. a. Heart rate, skin conductivity, and electrical activation of the facial muscles b. i. 1. b. Wanted to identify what triggered the strongest emotional reactions b. i. 2. Players exhibited the most potent combination of positive emotions when they made a mistake b. i. 3. The failed spectacularly/entertainingly when the monkey went whirling over the edge and off into space b. ii. The right kind of failure feedback is a reward b. ii. 1. Positive failure feedback reinforces our sense of control over the game"s outcome and give a powerful drive to succeed b. ii. 2.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers