PSY 351 Chapter Notes - Chapter 2: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Systematic Desensitization, Classical Conditioning

51 views4 pages

Document Summary

Approaches: behavioral approaches focus on influence of reinforcement and punishments classical conditioning and operant conditioning, operant conditioning- behaviors that are followed by reward are strengthened and behaviors followed by punishment are weakened. Partial reinforcement = better results/ more addiction (ex: gambling. ) Extinction- elimination of learned behavior: combination of operant conditioning and classical conditioning produces fears, behavior techniques. Focuses on identifying reinforcements and punishments that contribute to a persons maladaptive behavior: systematic desensitization therapy- gradual method for extinguishing anxiety related responses to stimuli (behavioral method) The client first learns relaxation exercises and then develops a hierarchy of feared stimuli. The therapist then helps them through the hierarchy. Often occurs with modeling: cognitive approaches- Argues that there is not simply rewards and punishments that motivate human behavior. Instead our cognitions -thought and beliefs- shape our behavior and emotions we experience. Ex: i must have perfect self control, i should be loved by everyone for everything i do.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers