Department
SPC - Special Education Core
Course Code
SPC 255
Professor
Griswold
Chapter
Chapter 7

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Amy Louie
Hardman, 11th ed.
Chapter 7
Study Questions with Answers
1. What is the definition of learning disabilities?
Learning disability is a condition in which one or more of the basic psychological processes
involved in understanding or using language are deficient.
2. What is the intelligence level of students with learning disabilities?
People with learning disabilities usually have average or near average intelligence, although
learning disabilities can occur all intelligence levels. People with learning disabilities achieve
at unexpectedly low levels, particularly in reading and mathematics.
3. What is meant when we say that the term learning disabilities is a generic label that represents a
heterogeneous group?
The term learning disabilities has become a generic term representing a very heterogeneous
group of conditions that range from mild to severe in intensity.
4. What are the two different theoretical views of learning disabilities?
The first one is perceptual motor theories, this emphasizes an interaction between various
channels of perception and motor activity. Children with learning disabilities are seen
having unreliable and unstable perceptual-motor abilities, which present challenged when
such children encounter activities that require an understanding of time and space. The
other theory is language disability theory. This concentrates on a child’s reception of
production of language and emphasized on the relationship between learning disabilities
and language deficiencies.
5. What are discrepancy approaches to classification as learning disabled based upon?
Discrepancy approaches to classification are based on the notion that there’s is an
identifiable gap between intelligence and achievement in particular areas, such as reading,
math, and language.
6. What is the exclusion approach to classification as learning disabled based upon?
Exclusion approach reflects the idea that the learning disabilities cannot be due to selected
other conditions.
7. What is the basic concept of RTI?
The basic concept of RTI is empirically based decision making that is, determining
intervention success on the basis of data reflecting the student’s performance.
8. What does comorbidity research investigate?
Comorbidity research investigates the degree to which youngsters exhibit evidence of
multiple disabilities or conditions (such as learning disabilities and communication
disorders, or personality disorders).
9. How long do Goldstein and Waber suggest that learning disabilities persist?
Goldstein and Waber suggest that these challenges usually persist from the primary grades
through the end of formal schooling, including college.
10. What is the definition of information processing?
Information processing is a model used to study the way people acquire, remember, and
manipulate information.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Amy Louie th Hardman, 11 ed. Chapter 7 Study Questions with Answers 1. What is the definition of learning disabilities? Learning disability is a condition in which one or more of the basic psychological processes involved in understanding or using language are deficient. 2. What is the intelligence level of students with learning disabilities? People with learning disabilities usually have average or near average intelligence, although learning disabilities can occur all intelligence levels. People with learning disabilities achieve at unexpectedly low levels, particularly in reading and mathematics. 3. What is meant when we say that the term learning disabilities is a generic label that represents a heterogeneous group? The term learning disabilities has become a generic term representing a very heterogeneous group of conditions that range from mild to severe in intensity. 4. What are the two different theoretical views of learning disabilities? The first one is perceptual motor theories, this emphasizes an interaction between various channels of perception and motor activity. Children with learning disabilities are seen having unreliable and unstable perceptual-motor abilities, which present challenged when such children encounter activities that require an understanding of time and space. The other theory is language disability theory. This concentrates on a child’s reception of production of language and emphasized on the relationship between learning disabilities and language deficiencies. 5. What are discrepancy approaches to classification as learning disabled based upon? Discrepancy approaches to classification are based on the notion that there’s is an identifiable gap between intelligence and achievement in particular areas, such as reading, math, and language. 6. What is the exclusion approach to classification as learning disabled based upon? Exclusion approach reflects the idea that the learning disabilities cannot be due to selected other conditions. 7. What is the basic concept of RTI? The basic concept of RTI is empirically based decision making – that is, determining intervention success on the basis of data reflecting the student’s performance. 8. What does comorbidity research investigate? Comorbidity research investigates the degree to which youngsters exhibit evidence of multiple disabilities or conditions (such as learning disabilities and communication disorders, or personality disor
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit